Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While out walking the dogs with my boyfriend's sister, the guy on the corner was out on his front lawn, and was clearly drunk. "Out walkin' the puppies, huh?" He slurred at us. We smiled and replied, "Yup." He was like "That sucks."

...:suspicious:

Wasn't expecting that response at all LOL. I just replied with "That's alright, we like to go walking." and walked on as briskly as possible. It may have taken me a few extra seconds to respond, because I was so shocked someone would say that to some people who are clearly out enjoying their walk. Sigh... oh, those drunks... >u.u;<

Anyone else heard any offensive, crazy, or unexpected things while out walking with your dog(s)?

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
"You should walk your dog more often". Because you know, the fact that I vary my walking routes, drive to other neighborhoods, and spend time at two different local dog parks in order to give my dog mental stimulation instead of walking the exact. same. route. 3 times a day like this individual does, means I never walk my dog. Right. Gotcha. Now, I'll give the guy credit for giving his dogs lots of exercise, but they look bored out of their minds every time I see them. My dad refers to them as "the robots", which is funny but sad at the same time.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Once a kid on a bike rode by and yelled at Crystal (who wasn't even paying attention to him), "If you bite me, I'll kick you."

I had one guy make a snide remark to his friend (intentionally loudly enough for me to hear) about how people shouldn't waste money on snooty purebred dogs when there are dogs in the shelter.

Crystal barked at a standard poodle who was walking by when we were sitting at an outdoor cafe in Toronto, and his owner glanced down his nose at Crystal and then remarked, "Don't pay attention to that. It's just a rat." (I actually laughed at that one.)

I've had one kid tell me he wanted Casper (and not in a joking tone; he sounded almost angry), and two different people tell me that I didn't need two dogs and that I should give them one.

And of course there are always people who are offended that my dogs are reactive and I won't let their dogs get right in my dog's faces.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I get two things regularly (that I have mentioned before)
If she is on leash: Oh, does she run away on you?
If she is on the tether: You should let her run free.
Basically boiling down to: you're an idiot for walking your dog, they don't need to be walked if you'd stop being uptight and letting your dog roam.
I kind of wish I could teach Caeda to pee on people so as a response to comments like that I could let her off leash and give the pee cue, they would stop telling me to let her off pretty quick :)

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
Another one I've gotten frequently is having a person ask to pet Kuma while I'm out walking him, and then proceeding to tell me how ugly he is, or how he's "so ugly he's cute". I mean, really? Who says that to someone about their dog??

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I dont really get a lot of rude or weird comments...all the comments are usually the same same "are those all your dogs?" "wow thats a lot of dogs" "I wish my dogs were that well behaved" "are you a dog walker?"..for the record I have 6 dogs which I walk all at once. the only differnt comment I have ever gotten was while I was walking my BCs around my work, and a guy saw Misty and asked if she was all BC or crossed with ACD(she is all BC) figered she could go either way, but was just curious because he breeds the cross for cattle on his ranch, I said she is all BC, and then he comments "you actually need them on leashes?" before I said anything though it occured to him that were were in the city where there is a leash law and he was like "oh right, city..I suppose you are required too" lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure why people feel the need to talk about how they don't like Pugs or find them ugly when I walk mine by. Or how many times people have called my Chihuahua a rat. I have opinions about certain breeds and assume the people who keep them are boring and unimaginative, but I would NEVER say that out loud.

Plus, I cant tell you how many times people have said, "He looks like the dog from... uh..." and I have to remind them it's Men in Black.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
Plus, I cant tell you how many times people have said, "He looks like the dog from... uh..." and I have to remind them it's Men in Black.
Oh, yes. Kuma gets called Frank ALL the TIME. They all think they're being so clever too, like I haven't heard that one a million times, lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh, yes. Kuma gets called Frank ALL the TIME. They all think they're being so clever too, like I haven't heard that one a million times, lol.
At least they know it's Frank. I get "the Men in Black dog!" all the time. I'm really glad I didn't go with naming him Franklin. It was one of the three names I was going between when I first got him.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Once, when Charlie was still alive, we had spent the afternoon on the beach. Afterwards, we walked back to the car but stopped on the boulevard to get something to eat. Dogs are allowed everywhere, so there were a lot more people with dogs. When we halted for a moment, trying to decide where we were going to sit down, a lady that was sitting nearby with her little pooch spoke to her friend but intentionally loud enough for us to hear:

"They better leave with that filthy monster."

NEVER have I heard anyone be so rude! Charlie wasn't even doing anything, not even looking their way. The hell was wrong with them? My father heard her words and immediately went up to them to ask whether she and her little rat had a problem with us. (no, not very nice either, I know. But Charlie was the apple of his eye)

There was one other time when someone was being rude. I was walking our neighbors' dog Odin, a big dark colored shepherd, and a man told me while passing me by that I better hold him tight because he could see that he was a real mean dog. He sounded really serious about it. :/ And poor Odin loves everyone :p

·
Registered
68 Posts
Some days ago, I was walking Oscar when some random man apparantly thought he was really funny. He called to me: "Hey lady, is your dog for sale?" I completely ignored him, but then he turned to his young son (about 5 years old) and said, loud enough for me to hear: "I'm going to buy this dog, so we can eat it tonight!" I was horrified. It wasn't funny at all obviously and also not a very good remark to make to a child, if you ask me. Some people...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was walking my dog early one morning at the park, and a guy came over to me and said, "I hope you don't mind me saying this, but you are sexy." The guy was probably 20 years younger than me. It was scary.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Someone once called my old Shih Tzu, Oreo, a "rat" and I found it surprisingly hurtful. No one's ever said anything rude about Molly but people do constantly ask me what breed she is and they usually seem a little disappointed to learn that she's a mix of mainly unknown origin. LOL.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
It's hard to see in the pics I've posted, but Roxie seems to be growing an impressive mustache from the corners of her mouth. Well the thing is, it's one of my favorite things about her... But I have heard from multiple people, "she's a girl? You should shave it off! Girls don't have mustaches!" no one ever says that to
The owner of the female schnauzer with way more beard than Roxie has... People also always act like I'm starving her because she is skinny... But if anything she's a bit on the chubby side...

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
We like to walk at quiet times of the day, due to Obi being a bit reactive, but someone did diagnose him with small dog syndrome one time. He wasn't running rampant at the time, I saw the woman coming and pulled Obi aside and sat down next to him and held him and fed him some treats, but the woman got too close and he had a little snark.

Other than that, most comments we get are positive, like how beautiful and well trained they are.

And I don't think walking the same route every day matters. Dogs are territorial, so it's natural to patrol the same area every day, and other dogs will have walked through the same area, so they're always stopping to sniff and mark poles etc. They do get out to training clubs and occasional trips to the beach and friends' places, but mostly we walk the same regular route every day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Someone once called my old Shih Tzu, Oreo, a "rat" and I found it surprisingly hurtful. No one's ever said anything rude about Molly but people do constantly ask me what breed she is and they usually seem a little disappointed to learn that she's a mix of mainly unknown origin. LOL.
My boyfriend's mom was a big dog person and when I got my 15lb Pug, she called him a little rat. Um, he's a guinea pig of he's anything! They recently adopted a Pomeranian and she says Lily is ok for a "wimpy dog". But truthfully, she's crazy about her new dog, so I don't know why she keeps bringing it up. Nobody else seems to mind.
Some people are dead set on hating small dogs. Even if it's just the idea of it. I have a friend who says she hates small dogs and cats. But when we lived together, she doted on my cats and my grandma's chihuahua.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
And I don't think walking the same route every day matters. Dogs are territorial, so it's natural to patrol the same area every day, and other dogs will have walked through the same area, so they're always stopping to sniff and mark poles etc. They do get out to training clubs and occasional trips to the beach and friends' places, but mostly we walk the same regular route every day.
I agree. Close to 90% of the time I walk Jubel in the same park near our house and he isn't bored with it at all. I do change up the sequence of paths we take in the woods but we cover mostly the same ground everyday. Tons of people and dogs walk through this park everyday, lots of squirrels, chipmunks, deer, fox, etc live there so there are always new smells to check out and places to mark. I guess just walking around the block of a residential neighborhood every single day might get a bit boring though.

·
Registered
692 Posts
My son with his hairless crested gets asked a lot if the dog has mange,or what the heck is wrong with it. And he even had someone once while he was in his Air Force ABUs make a comment that they knew the government did cruel things to animals but did he really have to have it out in public.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Even if it's just the idea of it. I have a friend who says she hates small dogs and cats. But when we lived together, she doted on my cats and my grandma's chihuahua.
I think it's a macho thing. There are people that just prefer big dogs but people that lack confidence seem to think they HAVE to have a big, intimidating dog to boost their ego. That's fine, but there's no need to constantly knock small dogs.

1 - 20 of 318 Posts