Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

I thought I would ask for input from the forum about an issue we have been having recently with our 7 month old wheaten terrier. I'll start out with the good news. He has a clean bill of health from the vet - no giardia, intestinal blockages etc. Now for the issue.

About every other morning, he gets up at 6am, does his business, eats his breakfast and then immediately vomits it back up. He is otherwise totally fine. In fact, he can usually eat another breakfast immediately and keep it down with no problem. This never happens at any other meals. We thought perhaps eating on an empty stomach was the issue and tried giving him a snack before bed around 10pm, but that hasn't helped.

Do any of you have any other thoughts about what could be going on? We feed him Orijens Puppy, so we could try a change of food, but since he doesn't have issues at other meals, I'm unconvinced that is the reason.

So... help?

Thanks!
Beth

·
Registered
97 Posts
Maybe because he's hungry he's eating it really fast? Try using a bowl that makes him eat slower, or spreading it out on a plate.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Jenneses could be right. I'd feed him from a feeding toy, like a tug a jug or buster cube. My dog will eat so fast from a bowl he pukes it right back up. Feeding toys have the added advantage of engaging a dog's brain, so even if this isn't the problem, it's good for him.

I'd also try waking up at 2 or 3 am to give him a golf ball sized snack. (Deduct this from his other meals to control his weight.) My dog has GERD and if I don't feed him every 4 hours, he pukes. So he gets snacks at 10 pm (bedtime), then I wake up at 2 am and feed him, and he gets a snack at 5:45 while I get dressed for the morning walk. I've been able to stop giving him Pepcid entirely by doing this. (Pepcid isn't bad, I just prefer to treat things naturally if I can.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts