Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 20 month old, neutered, mixed breed puppy has decided, in the past week, that I'm scary.
We got Nacho when he was 9 weeks old. I have been his person since day 1. If I'm on the couch, he's on my lap. If I'm in bed, he's snuggled under my arm. He goes to agility classes 1 day a week and loves our instructor and class mates.
We have 2 other dogs, a 3 yr old and a 7 yr old, both spayed females. He gets along with them great and they play together very well.
For some unknown reason, last week, he has decided I'm scary. If I look at him, or try to pet him, he'll cower and run and hide, or if my husband is around, he'll climb on his lap.
If I do a training session, he'll happily work. If I take the dogs out to play, he'll happily go out to play. If I go to bed, he'll snuggle up next to me all night and start licking my face when the alarm goes off.
But, during the day, he avoids me.

Nothing has changed. Same food, same laundry soap, same hand soap, no new bedding, same routine has always

About 3 weeks ago, he was sleeping under my desk, I didn't know he was there and bumped him with my foot, but he was fine for a while after that before this started.
There hasn't been anything that I'm aware of that has startled him when I've been around to associate fear with me.
I've tried ignoring him. I even stayed in a hotel one night last week, thinking he might miss me (I had a super early work meeting and didn't want to get up at 3am to get to work on time)

The vet was stumped and could find no cause, she said it was very weird.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dogs make odd associations at times. No telling as to why, but about all you can do is what you have been. Hopefully he'll get over it in his own time. You might be able to speed it up by making training and play sessions as much fun and rewarding as you can...

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
It may be a "fear period" or it may be that, as he sheds his puppy "mind set" his mature temperament genetics are starting to kick in.

I would not push it. I would cut back on his regular food and carry part of his ration on me. Use that randomly throughout the day whenever he looks at you. Toss the food then you turn away as he goes to get the food (makes you less threatening).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update of sorts.
He has improved a LITTLE bit. He will now sit on my lap if I'm sitting on the couch.
We had agility class tonight and he was SUPER happy and had a blast.
If he sits on my husbands lap and I move my hand over, he'll lick if, but if I try to pet him, he'll move away.
I still can't approach him at home, he will drop his head and run away, but at least he's starting to turn a corner and sit on my lap again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts