Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps..

I got a question here..

Prudi, my female is about to be on heat (Or maybe she already is) because i spotted a few blood drops on the yard)
Anyway.. Apollo(7months) isn't neutered yet because we need (most likely can) to neuter him until easter break.

So.. to the question.
Since today,that i saw the blood stains and came to the conclusion that prudi is on heat, Apollo has been lying outside and infront of Prudi's doghouse(when prudi is inside), Prudi also seems to lack a bit of energy since yesterday.

Now, i do doubt she is pregnant, but i'm also concerned about the fact she could be, however Prudi is a dog that even on past heats when a male dog goes near her she bites, fights them when they come too close to her.

But why is Apollo lying infront of her doghouse???

·
Registered
185 Posts
Her scent is calling out to him and saying I'm ready. What you need to do is get a diaper with a hole cut out for her tail on her right away. She may or may not be pregnant, but if she's not, this will help with making sure she's not. Keep him away from her!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I'm curious, but why can't you neuter your males, and do you plan on spaying the female?

As for laying in front of the doghouse, I'm not really sure. He may be just trying to hang around her because since she's in heat he's attracted to her. I definitely would keep them separated at all times while she's in heat, though, especially when you cannot supervise them completely. And try to get them all altered ASAP =/

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apollo's been neutered in spring break so i can watch him over all day long for his recovery, right now i can't since i'm in school and i'm out for 7 hours.

Prudis operation is just too expensive here since she is an old dog (5 years) and the vet wants to charge us over 450 dollars to spay her, Apollo on the other hand would be neutered for at least 60 dollars, BUT.. we are yet to do it for the above mentioned issue.

Well i've been supervising both as much as i can since we are going to have people in the house in some hours, and the dogs are not allowed in until the people are gone (shedding, prudi bleeding,etc..etc..)

I've been looking for signs to see if they did breed, and the most obvious i could have seen would be so see blood around Apollos pubic area, but nothing, no blood, and he isn't smelling prudi when she does come out of the dog house, nor he is smelling the blood prudi leaves behind.

I have read in the boards that bitches generate a hormone, or something among those lines that let's the dog know when they want to breed, if the female doesn't want to breed she will expell a smell that will let the dog know she doesn't want to breed..
Maybe somebody has the link to that article in here??

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Maybe you should let them outside one at a time, while keeping the other one in? It's not very safe to let them in the yard together, unless you're out with them the whole time.

Also, maybe you should look for a different vet? That seems rediculously high for a spay operation to me, and age shouldn't be a factor at all unless she was a young puppy or something... o.o I dunno if this is possible, but maybe you could find a shelter that would do it? I know we've gone to the shelter to have dogs put down before, but I dunno if this is the same >.< Either way, that vet sounds a little odd to me...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe you should let them outside one at a time, while keeping the other one in? It's not very safe to let them in the yard together, unless you're out with them the whole time.

Also, maybe you should look for a different vet? That seems rediculously high for a spay operation to me, and age shouldn't be a factor at all unless she was a young puppy or something... o.o I dunno if this is possible, but maybe you could find a shelter that would do it? I know we've gone to the shelter to have dogs put down before, but I dunno if this is the same >.< Either way, that vet sounds a little odd to me...
Ain't the vet, it's the country which is crazy with all this stuff, there are some campaings in which you can neuter male dogs for free, but i wouldn't trust my dog to state institutions such as mexican shelters to do the job, if they screw up, they wouldn't cover the medical bills i'd have to cover due to infections, but any registered vet, regarding of neutering cost would do so.

My real vet (because i've been asking in alot of clinics to do know prices, and the cheapest was around 55 dollars) probably can neuter apollo, don't know the price yet because i havent had the time to speak with him, but regardless of price, it is about the time in which we will have him spayed.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Either way, keep 'em separated, 'kay? It's a bad idea to leave them outside together all day. It'll probably be easier once he's neutered, but until then you have to be extra careful. Maybe you should do a little research on the heat cycle in dogs, and see what times she can get pregnant and different signs to look for if she's starting her cycle, ending it, or may be pregnant. And if you're worried about her bleeding on stuff, I'd take the above post's suggestion and make a diaper for her, or leave her out and let the male in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts