Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Luna has been having strange episodes lately. The following thing has happened three times (that I know of): she will be resting quietly, and all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, she will stand up and let out this low, mean-sounding growl - she NEVER growls like that, she growls in play all the time but it sounds very different - and then start barking. She very seldom barks so that, too, concerns me. But what's the weirdest is that she seems to be growling and barking at nothing: she will bark facing a wall, for example. If I talk to her she will look at me and wag her tail, will let me touch and handle her no problem and even lick me, but she will keep growling the whole time. It ends as suddenly as it starts.

I have no idea what causes this and whether I should be worried. Has someone experienced something similar with their dog? Any idea what could cause that type of behaviour?

EDIT: I forgot to say that she will also pant very heavily all along.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can dogs actually sleepwalk? I don't know if she is still in a dream state when it happens because she recognises me and responds to my voice and gestures... that's what throws me off.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I was thinking possibly mice in the walls as well... or perhaps a tree or shrub branch grown enough to now rub against the house? Of late, our neighbor's tree has been dropping walnuts, some of which hit the roof of our back room with a thud which makes my Kayla dog pick her head up with a start.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I thought my dog was barking and growling at nothing. Turned out we had a colony of bats in our attic. Not to freak you out or anything.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
I would rather bats than mice! I'd be tempted to put down a tarp to catch their droppings and leave the bats up there. They eat so many bugs.

We once had a huge wasp nest in the wall. Now THAT is not good.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Dogs can hear things sometimes we can't, like a pipe clanging in the wall, a water heater, air flowing.

·
Registered
868 Posts
One of the reason I'm glad I have cats, to keep the mice at bay if that time ever comes. Also they're the best bug catchers (especially in the south with the huge flying cockroaches)! Ammy will stand up and bark sometimes too, I just assume she hears something I can't. My mom's yorkie does it too.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions guys :) We definitely have bats around here, I have seen them more than once (and my cat caught and decapitated one... ugh) so hopefully that's what causes her to act like that. I will try to tape her next time, it may help notice things I haven't seen.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I posted a few months back about Bella doing the same sort of thing (except she would get up suddenly and go hide in the bathroom or stand and stare at one of the walls).
I was freaked out thinking that she had a brain tumor or something!
Then I caught a mouse under the sink in the kitchen (the other side of the wall she was staring at) and she stopped pretty much immediately.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Kris does not bark very often but every night she stands and stares at the same spot outside and woofs and woofs. I have gone out and looked around and cannot see anything. We have a lot of deer around but I cannot see any and also have bear in the bush behind us but never see them when I look. It is not likely that an animal would be there at the same time every night.

During the day when she sees a deer just outside my fence, she does more than woof at it.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Maybe your house is haunted? :D
I am so glad I wasn't the first one to say that. Lol if course it might be that she heard an animal praise the house or something. BUT if my dogs started acting like that & it was OOC for them & it was nothing medical I would start asking questions.

This isn't dogs, BUT on the race track, a lot of the horses spook on the back side by the thoroughbred chute & I found that strange until my friend reminded me there was a cemetery back there. At times first thig I the morning (track opens about 6:30am) even my pony horse who is VERY level headed & dependable will be kind of looky / nervous over there sometimes & looks like he sees something & occasionally he will move out from the rail, (if we are jogging backward you hug the outside rail of the track) not nessessarily "suddenly" in a hard spook, but almost like someone reached out & tried to touh him as he went by.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you checked if this behavior manifests itself at the approximate same time, or is it just whenever.....?
By the way, the Siberian Husky I recently lost was also named Luna.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts