Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a three and a half year-old papillon who tends to be a worry-wart and is a real talker--not so much a barker but whines a ton to communicate her excitement and happiness as well as fears. Recently she's been acting very strange and I'm trying to put the pieces together to figure out what's going on. She was just diagnosed and is being treated for an ear infection, as she's been scratching her ear, shaking her head and just seemed out of sorts. But more worrisome is her strange accompanying behavior in the last few days. She does not want to get on the grass to go potty--she adamantly keeps coming back to the porch. Today I put her on her leash and kept walking her through the grass encouraging her to go but she wouldn't go and even started shaking. Even stranger, for the last two nights when she's on the bed she is on-alert not closing her eyes to go to sleep, but looking at the bedding and appearing to track things, sometimes she gets up to check the spot she's been watching, then she'll move to a new location and start doing the same thing again. It appears as if she's hallucinating--it's very unnerving behavior--we don't know what to make of it but can tell she's very concerned about something. We don't think she's sleeping well and are sure this is contributing to her grumpier-than-usual-barky behavior during the day. We just started her ear drops but this was happening beforehand so I'm sure it's not medication related. Also about a week ago we stayed in a hotel where we discovered fleas--we checked out and tried to get all the fleas off our dogs and bathed them, but since our dogs do not typically have fleas we are wondering if she might still have a flea on her and this is the underlying link to her strange behavior. I am planning to give her another bath today. Has anyone else dealt with similar behavior issues or have any ideas as to what might be worrying my sweetie? Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Has she been seen by the vet for the strange new behavior? It could be a reaction to a medication or a more serious infection. Frankly the vet is the ONLY one that can give you a definate answer!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We didn't think to mention the strange night time behavior to the vet as we were thinking it was all related to the ear issue, but now not so sure. If things do not improve this weekend we'll be making another visit to the vet. Thanks for your reply, I'm just hoping there might be someone out there who has had a similar experience.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
I have a papillon as well, and she's exhibited odd behavior twice in the four years I've had her.

The first time, I was chewing gum and I blew a bubble. For some reason, this terrified her, and she cowered in a corner, shaking. I put the gum in the garbage and just acted normal around her, but for hours she hid and shook. She's usually not scared of much (doesn't mind strangers, fireworks, parades, baseball games, horses, etc.), so it was odd.

The second time was right after she got her vaccinations. This was before my vet started splitting them up, so it was a combo shot of some sort. Crystal's behavior got very weird; she seemed to be afraid of her crate and would LEAP out of it, as if there were an invisible puddle of something scary in front of it. I'd have to actually take her and set her back in because she wouldn't walk in on her own (usually she runs in when I say "crate"). That only lasted a day.

She also gets weird and almost depressed-seeming if I use Advantage on her for flea control (no problems with Revolution). I think she may be very chemical-sensitive.

If I were you, I'd call the vet. It's free to call and describe the symptoms! It might be nothing, but it could be something serious, and you don't want to risk it. You can always tell the vet that you'll bring her in if she's still acting weird on Monday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crantastic, Thank you for your input and experiences with your pap--this is my second papillon and yes, every once in awhile they can take an odd-streak when something is bothering them! My first pap disliked all flea repellents. We once used a drop kind on her and she absolutely hated it, acting very strange then sitting by the back door until we gave her bath and got it off of her--she also would frightened similarly to flies as your dog did to bubble-blowing! Heaven forbid we'd get a fly in the house, she'd shake and act so silly, it was comical except that we knew it was so very distressing to her. Your comment about vaccines is food for thought though... when we took our girl to the vet for her ear infection she was also just about ready for shots so we went ahead and had those taken care of-- distemper and parvo. However she was acting strangely the night before the vet visit, but maybe her behavior has exacerbated some from the two shots on the same day. Anyway, I had forgotten all about those shots until your post, so I'm glad you took the time to write and mentioned it--it may be another piece to the puzzle. We are also wondering if perhaps she was stung by a bee (she had a swollen eye lid last week for a couple of hours) but we didn't find any other evidence of a sting, but it could explain where the grass phobia is coming from. Papillons are wonderfully intelligent dogs and so in-tune with the goings-on of their homes--but I think their sensitivity can sometimes be to their detriment! Thanks again for your post!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Dogmama, vaccinations should NEVER be given to a sick dog, your vet should have known better especailly since Distemper can cause neuroligical problems and the dog is on antibiotics which could affect the viability of the immunization.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts