Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never personally knew Tenshi, never met him/her, & never met his/her owner; as she lives in China. So, why am I writing about a dog that I never knew or for that matter, one that was in China, of all places? Because their story is one of the most heart wrenching I've heard in awhile & maybe people really don't know that much about it. But mostly because I think they deserve to have their story told.

I was surfing the net a week or so ago & a really good friend of mine contacted me with some very upsetting & rather disturbing news; it took me awhile to actually pry it out of him as he & I are huge animal lovers. Finally, he sent me a link to a site & I clicked the link; what I saw, horrified me & still causes me to weep every time I think about it.

There was pictures of a young, four month old Husky puppy happily playing with their owner, several to be exact. As I scrolled down, I found myself asking why my friend had been so upset about this, but as I continued, I soon realized why...

This woman was posting before & after pictures as she savagely mutilated this poor innocent creature one piece at a time; first it was a ear, then she broke their legs & gouged out their eyes...I won't go into the rest of the details about what they suffered...it's just...it's too horrible for words.

Feeling sick to my stomach, I immediately clicked off the page & began to cry. How could anyone do that to any animal?! It took me until the next day before I could stomach reading the translated news clipping that was actually posted in all of China's newspapers.

Outraged to find out that they wouldn't do anything about it & the fact that she actually bragged about doing this same thing to three other dogs prior to this one, I set out to see if there was some way I could get this story published in a U.S. Newspaper. I could not & was told that it was just a puppy...it wasn't a human, so it wasn't a big deal.

But to me it IS a big deal & it DOES hurt when I hear or see anything that deals with any kind of animal cruelty...that puppy never even had a chance! I know that there are millions upon millions of dogs & cats each year who are "put to sleep" because of careless people who didn't want them in this country alone & my heart bleeds for each and every one of them as well. It's not just cats & dogs either, many animals suffer every day & are killed too.

In the end, there was no kind of justice I could get for this lost soul, nor anything I could do to stop the tears which continue to fall in memory of this broken heart that was dealt a harsh hand from it's birth. Perhaps, there is one consolation in all this tragedy, they are in a better place now & are no longer suffering. This also brings me to the point of why this post is titled "Tenshi's Story".

Again, as I stated above, I knew nothing about this dog...but I decided to name them Tenshi, which means "Angel". I thought it was fitting, at least.

I might be called weird for doing such things, especially when I knew nothing about the puppy. I however feel this was my way of showing the world that there was at least one person who cared.

So, R.I.P dear Tenshi, may you forever be at peace & happy wherever you are now.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
China's animal cruelty laws are in their infancy. There are those trying to push for harsher laws to be drafted and passed (i.e the kennel club and its members, etc), but at this point they are just not there yet.

It's a very sad story, though.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Because animals are never abused and killed here? Several states in the US have very poor animal cruelty laws as well.
However, there are more organizations here willing to stand up and do something about it then in China.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Honestly, thats not a failure of legislation, thats a failure of humanity. Some people are just worse than animals.

·
Registered
389 Posts
China is no poster child for animal welfare (and don't even get me started on human rights). It's got a long way to go on both fronts.

Still ... didn't the last two of the last three terrible dog stories come from outside China? One (Lennox) from Northern Ireland and the other (Hope) from the USA?
I'm no apologist for China and find many of its practices indefensible. But animal abuse happens worldwide and is a hateful thing wherever. Let's not bash China per se, let's just bash horrible humans

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
China is no poster child for animal welfare (and don't even get me started on human rights). It's got a long way to go on both fronts.

Still ... didn't the last two of the last three terrible dog stories come from outside China? One (Lennox) from Northern Ireland and the other (Hope) from the USA?
I'm no apologist for China and find many of its practices indefensible. But animal abuse happens worldwide and is a hateful thing wherever. Let's not bash China per se, let's just bash horrible humans

That's true...animal abuse happens everywhere. As much as I wish it didn't...

·
Registered
56 Posts
what's the link to the article? It seems strange that a CHINESE person would name their dog tenshi, much less a dog they hated. Tenshi is the JAPANESE word for angel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what's the link to the article? It seems strange that a CHINESE person would name their dog tenshi, much less a dog they hated. Tenshi is the JAPANESE word for angel.
The lady didn't name the dog Tenshi...I did. Sorry about the confusion. I've tried going back to the site to post the link, however, it was taken down. I just gave the dog the name Tenshi because it seemed appropriate somehow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts