Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of this? It was recommended by my local SPCA when I took Roxxy to a seminar. Last night was not a good night for her (a thunder storm popped up) and I had to medicate her (which I hate to do all the time).

I was wondering if anyone had used one or knew of someone who had. Thanks for any info. Here's a link to the website.

http://www.stormdefender.com/

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've never heard of this. I might consider getting it if it's any good, since Rinoa is scared to death of thunderstorms.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The SPCA really recommended it and it sounds good in theory, but I haven't really been sold on it yet (no pun intended:eek:). Hopefully someone here will have tried it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hmm, I'd never heard of that before. If it ends up working, please let us know! It might be worth the money. Bentley kept me up all night last night with the storms and tonight's weather looks to be just the same. These storms aren't even that bad and he's still terrified. I bought a bag of Pet Naturals Calming Soft Chews to try and it took a triple dose (which the bag said was safe if needed) to get him to calm down enough to lay down but he still wasn't relaxed :(

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Jack used to be terrified of thunder and I bought him some herbal stuff called TFLN (ThunderStorms Fireworks & Loud Noises) it was liquid It came in a small bottle you just squeeze the bottle into the dogs mouth and it worked great for him.

Here is what it looks like

·
Registered
535 Posts
I honestly do not know what to say because I have never had a dog afraid of storms but Pickle, but only when he was a puppy and I would just hold him close to me. My method about these things may be carless but I say buy it and if it sucks, oh well. You'll get the money back...:D

This is off topic but what breed is Roxxy?

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roxxy is a terrier mix...not sure what kind. I was told she was a Katrina baby which may account for the fear. But when the thunder is for a great length of time and lots of thunder boomers, even Butch gets a little skittish. I have tried many homeopathic remedies and none of them work. Doggie downers are great but I really hate to drug her all the time...she looks so pitiful when I do...bleary eyes, etc.

I may cough of the money because our stormy season is just beginning. And it's not always just thunder. She even gets anxious when a storm is coming which would account for the capes claims that it cuts down on the static they can feel. Luckily she likes to be under blankets, etc.

I'll let y'all know what happens.

·
Registered
207 Posts
We used Ultra Calm biscuits from Dr Foster and Smith

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+11260+8098&pcatid=8098

for our very anxious, thunderstorm fearful yellow lab. She was 80 lbs and a couple of these biscuits and she would happily sleep through a storm without being drugged up. It was just enough to make her relax and they worked within 20 minutes of ingestion as well.

We also used these when we ran out of calming biscuits with similar results...

http://www.petco.com/product/105447/Excel-Calm-Quil-Calming-Tablets.aspx

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We used Ultra Calm biscuits from Dr Foster and Smith
for our very anxious, thunderstorm fearful yellow lab. She was 80 lbs and a couple of these biscuits and she would happily sleep through a storm without being drugged up. It was just enough to make her relax and they worked within 20 minutes of ingestion as well.
I tried them both (and others) and unless I get her at the very start of any storm, they don't work...and then, not all the time. She shakes, pants, drools, and tries to crawl in me (always on me). You would have to see it to believe it. :( I've almost decided to bite the bullet and order one. I can't go through 5 months of drugging her (when I'm home...or if I know it's going to be bad, sometimes I give her one when I leave for work). I hate to see her like that and I worry when I'm at work how she's doing. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts