Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1y. old Shepard/Border Collie mix that I got from the shelter when she was 14 weeks old. She's been a handfull to train, But we have made good progress, for a few months now she seems to under stand, But about 2 weeks ago she has started challenging me on everthing and sniping at me. I will grab her coller and pin her to the ground until she stops, It's works for a few min. But then she starts up again. Anybody have any thoughts(Short of beating her) on stopping the challenges ?

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Don't pin her (or beat her, if you were even considering it). Violence begets violence, and teaches them nothing.

What do you mean by challenging you? What are the circumstances of the "sniping" (do you mean nipping?)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean I give a command and she does the opposite ,like sit and she bolts, won't come , won't stop barking, ignoring me. "nipping" "sniping" What I mean is a fast little bits, most are just in the air, not a "BIT". It seems to be clear she's challenging me. Don't get me wrong, we get along great most of the time, just 1 or 2 times a day acts up.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
She's still a puppy. Probably just normal teenage puppy craziness. Try to distract her when she gets bonkers.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I've got a 1y. old Shepard/Border Collie mix that I got from the shelter when she was 14 weeks old. She's been a handfull to train, But we have made good progress, for a few months now she seems to under stand, But about 2 weeks ago she has started challenging me on everthing and sniping at me. I will grab her coller and pin her to the ground until she stops, It's works for a few min. But then she starts up again. Anybody have any thoughts(Short of beating her) on stopping the challenges ?

Thanks, Steve
I think the part in bold is the problem. The more you pick fights with the dog, the more the dog will fight back.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Is it possible that her stress about being pinned is making her bolt? If you seem tense, maybe she is concerned about being near you.

I would try a couple of weeks without the corrections/pinnings and see if things get better. Do you do any positive reinforcement training? If not, I will bet that it would work like magic. Your mix is a combination of sensitive working dogs. They seem, in general, to do far better with positive reinforcement training than corrections. They are pretty sensitive to their handlers by nature.

I have noticed that if I am in an "off" mood, my dogs aren't nearly as excited about training with me.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
It's also possible this could just be normal puppy play biting. Dogs need to learn bite inhibition and what may look like challenges could just be the pup playing around. Our dog used us a chew toys when she was a puppy. She was very mouthy. Took training to get her to stop and to learn that biting us was not something we enjoyed. At the BAD advice of a trainer, we also tried pinning her to make it stop. We only had to try it 1-2 times to realize what a terrible idea it was. We got worse results with it! So that trainer was out. We switched to this method and it worked like a charm:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/teaching-bite-inhibition

1 - 7 of 7 Posts