Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I had a great Saturday with my 14 week old JR. At the Petsmart training class we walked for 15 min then again several hours later at home on the sidewalk for another 15 min. She wants to pull so we're doing the change directions method when there's tension on the leash. The next morning she walked for 15 min but around noon and the rest of the day she wouldn't walk at all. She would either sit or lay down or just dig her feet in and resist going any direction. Couldn't change direction or anything. If I let her on the grass she would go and eat or dig.

This morning she wouldn't walk on the sidewalk so I took her accross the street and down a few blocks. I got her walking but she only walked wanting to go home. Once I got there I had to pick her up again and go a few blocks away. She won't do any walking going away from the house unless it's just to go on the grass and do business or eat or dig.

It seems she doesn't really like to go for a walk when she isn't in control and able to just go on the grass.

I thought the dragging would be the main walking problem not her just sitting or laying down.

Any ideas, my next class isn't til next weekend?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It might help to understand that puppies have a great fear of getting too far from the den or home territory. This is a hard wired survival instinct. The usual process of building that confidence to face the world is walking up and down the driveway, then to the corner and back, then to the other corner and back, then around the block.
You can walk back and forth for as long as it takes....a little boring but, it's the confidence buiding thats more important than how far you walked that day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the thoughts!! I didn't take her far from the house where she won't walk. She won't walk away from the house now at all, not down the driveway or in front on the sidewalk. I only took her a few blocks away to get her to do some walking even if it was to go home. Saturday and Sunday morn she walked but Sunday afternoon no more.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I sometimes have this problem with my dog. Like today, I went home at lunch to walk him and he just wanted to sit on the porch instead. Yesterday at the park on the walking trail he would just stop and sit randomly and stay sitting for awhile. What I've learned with my dog (I think it's different for each dog) is that if we're not going the way he wants to go, he'll just sit. (at least he doesn't pull me to where he wants to go;) ) but it's still very frustrating. We passed by this couple and their daughter they were sitting on the sidewalk because the little girl had fallen down and he wanted to go meet them, so instead of continuing to walk in the direction we were going, he just sat because he wanted to go towards the people.

Maybe just try sitting with her, if that's what she wants to do. usually if my dog just wants to sit and people watch, i'll just sit with him, and he'll eventually get up and start moving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts