Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two year old Cavalier who has always slept in a crate at night. during the day she stays in our dining room where the crate is but the door of the crate is left open. We would like to stop using the crate for two main reasons. first of all we don't really have the space for it and secondly when she stays over at my brothers house, he doesnt have room for the crate. life would be easier without it! We have tried to stop using it before but she just barked constantly. we want to try it again, perhaps a bit of a slower transition, but wonder if anyone has any top tips! thanks

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Since her crate is her safe place ... have you tried transitioning it with a nice fluffy/cushy/cozy dog bed? I would try this if you haven't. Just a thought. :)

I would give her the bed beside her crate and maybe move it away little by little until she no longer yearns for her crate? :) Also, put a few toys with her bed.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Many dogs think of their crate as their own personal "den", it is a safe and comfortable place where they can go to nap or even get away from the household if they feels stressed. If this dog depends on the crate for that, it would seem that you'd want to find an alternative, like the cozy dog bed Abbylynn was suggesting. There are many different styles, you might find one that she feels comfortable in!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
What about the snuggler beds where the dog fits undet the covers? That might simulate some of what your dog likes.

There are also nice travel crates that knock down and set up in seconds that would be no trouble in tighter spaces. And they only cost like $40.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts