Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myrrh, my heinz 57, is now five months old. We're still working on potty training (Trying to prevent her from going indoors five minutes after letting her out.. ugh) and Some things Myrrh is slowly growing out of, like play biting. But as she's gotten bigger, she's discovered she's now big enough to stand up and raid the kitchen counters!

It's irritating. I'll be in the same room with her and she will steal things, sometimes as many times as seven times in 45 minutes. She takes my blood testing device (Yeah, I'm diabetic), steals tea bags and generally makes a royal pest of herself. I've been clapping loudly and telling her NO!, yet it's like water off a duck's back. When she's really bad, I kennel her.

How on earth do I curb this habit of hers? I'm getting tired of constantly sweeping up the mess she's made.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Keep stuff off the counter. Counter surfing is extremely self-rewarding, and it sounds like she's already developed quite a habit of it. So keep your counters completely clean, or even block her access to the kitchen with baby gates if you have to. You can also train her to go to a mat when you're in the kitchen, and reward her heavily for being there. Basically, teach her that there is nothing good for her on the counter, but she can be rewarded for keeping her paws on the ground.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
**Grins** Thanks for the input! I'll certainly attempt to keep stuff off the counter from now on. Just don't know where most of my stuff will go, heh.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Or gate the kitchen when you're no there.

I have the same problem with mine.. but she can't reach the back half the counter. Thankfully my newfie doesn't seem interested in it (... yet), or I wouldn't be able to keep anything on it either.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
**Grins** Thanks for the input! I'll certainly attempt to keep stuff off the counter from now on. Just don't know where most of my stuff will go, heh.
Yeah, I know, it's a pain, but if she can't self-reward and she is rewarded for being where she is supposed to, the behavior will die. I feel like it's an excellent opportunity to de-clutter, haha. That's how I looked at it!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Yeah, I know, it's a pain, but if she can't self-reward and she is rewarded for being where she is supposed to, the behavior will die.
Yep unfortunately the best advice is to have nothing available within her reach. It's really the only thing that's worked for us. They do eventually "forget" and stop checking the counter, but if they ever do get something again, they're re-learned the behaviour and you have to start all over again with keeping the counters clear.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Nothing on the counter to steal is your answer or gate off the kitchen.

Now that she has stolen and found it self rewarding, she will continue to do so with every theft instantly rewarding.

Just think how GREAT the kitchen will look with empty counters (and all that work space is wonderful!). If room is an issue.. I bet you go through cabinets or a drawer and you find things you NEVER use.. that can go bye bye so the things on the counter can be stored better (out of dog reach).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts