Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6-year old terrier mix dog who has one truly annoying trait. When he plays with other dogs (and he definitely is playing) he barks continuously. He does this (barking) with all dogs he's playing with, and no matter where we are... inside, outside, at the dog park. There's no aggression beyond the barking. He alert barks at other times too, but I can quite him pretty quickly in general. I have recently moved into an apartment complex, so while in the past I have simply tolerated the barking during play, I really don't think that's appropriate to my living situation. My question is this... how do I indicate to him that the barking is a no-no, without stopping him from the play with the other dog?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, but I do have the same problem. My dog barks whenever she is playing with other dogs, except for when it is just one other dog and her. But if there is more than one dog around, she barks constantly. I always just assumed that it was an attention thing, but I am not sure. She is also very friendly, it is not a hostile bark at all. It is just loud -- she is a hound. Sigh.

·
Registered
948 Posts
yup, I have one vocal westie here, too. I can quiet him when he's hunting squirrels in the back yard, but not while he's playing. It's like the play center of the brain is hardwired to the vocal chords.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts