Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there are 2 areas I really disagree with Max going into.

#1 - Kitchen, mainly because the garbage is there. Also, there are some thy-high shelves with china. Sure, I could move the china and get rid of the garbage (move it) but they are in ideal spots and I would rather not have to rearrange my house unless its a necessity.

#2 - The couch, he is not allowed on it period for various reasons.

I'm pretty clueless how to stop him from jumping on these objects. I'm willing to work with him but don't know where to start.

Max does know "off", "sit"... and 90% of the time he listens, UNLESS he is jumping on the couch or jumping on the garbage. Everything else is fine.

So, where do I go from here?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Move the garbage. That's much easier to handle than the training involved and even with extensive training if he gets into just once/gets 'rewarded'...you're back to square one.
For the couch.....telling him to get OFF is a waste of time.....that only teaches him to get off when you say so but, does nothing in teaching him to not get up there in the first place. You have to catch him before he jumps. Get between him and the couch...block his access. And, here's the key move.....Max has to back away from the couch. That tells you he got the message. You have to very consistent with this....same as the garbage....if he gets up there once and gets rewarded...you have to start over again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts