Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Puppy keeps chewing through leash and biting it. He has ripped through one already when I wasn't there and tied him to something. He seems to keep chewing them still. I bought a chain so that maybe he sees it might hurt to bite so he doesn't do it anymore. Is this what I should be doing or are there other ways of stopping him from chewing and ripping them. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
Chain leashes have been used to keep a pup from biting on it, because it is simply not as fun to bite as nylon or leather. Leashes kind of resemble tug toys, and dogs like to tug, so its a common issue, lol. If you use a chain leash, just make sure it is strong enough to hold the pup as sometimes they are very flimsy. I'm not talking big heavy chain, just a good quality light one. Also, keep the leash out of the dog's reach when not in use. Additionally, you should not leave a puppy unattended and tied. There is a risk of the puppy tangling himself in the leash, and then severely injuring himself or choking himself. Tie outs should only be used with supervision. Instead, crate him when you can' supervise.

·
Registered
549 Posts
So stop tying him. Get a crate for when you can't supervise him. He's bored, so he chews on the leash. Give him other things to chew on and redirect.

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
He has ripped through one already when I wasn't there and tied him to something.
It's not that you can't tie him, it's that you should not when you are going to leave him. It simply isn't safe, especially for a young dumb puppy. Something bad could happen in an instant. Also, offering him the opportunity to continuously chew on the leash to the point of ripping it is only feeding the habit.

Leash chewing is a common problem with pups. Many grow out of it on their own, but yes, a chain leash can often fix the problem. You can switch back to a nylon or leather leash when he stops. You can also redirect when out on walks to a treat when he starts up with the leash chewing.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
feel with age and working with them to let go and go back to focus on walking, they grow out of it. during this stage I would go for the cheap leads, and if I ever had one that was truly bad enough I would invest in one of the cheap chain leads.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Most puppies will grow out of that. Redirect him to something else when he tries to chew on the leash. Train him to do other things (sit, look at you, etc.), then ask him to do one of those things when he tries to chew on the leash.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Will he carry a ball? I would try a ball on a rope. Here is a link to one I like because the dog can squeeze it. I also like it because the rope cannot pull through. http://www.hightrialk9.com/products/ball-on-a-rope-toys

My current puppy likes to have something in his mouth. It used to be the leash. I redirected to one of these balls and I hold the rope. As he matures, you may get him to just carry that ball where ever he goes. Nothing wrong with that.

He is teething this minute so I use this fabric ball with a tug handle right now.. easier on his mouth and he can still grip it and squeeze it which he likes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts