Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've decided once this is done, I'm finding a new vet!
How long do stitches have to stay in after neuter? Duke was supposed to have them removed on Friday, which would be 10 days after surgery. The vet now tells me he will be away on Thursday and Friday and that his stitches can be removed tomorrow (Tuesday) one week after his surgery. The wound looks good, but I don't want them removed sooner than they should be.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
A vet tech should be able to remove them, right? I'd see if that can be arranged.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The usual is 10 days and a vet doesn't have to remove them - vet techs do it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The office will be closed both Thursday and Friday, therefore no one will be there to remove the stitches.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
When my male dog was neutered 11 years ago, the Vet removed the stitches after 7 days... and there were no problems...7 days is very common when healing is progressing along well. In fact, you don't want to wait too long, b/c the skin starts closing around the stitches, making it more difficult to remove.

For a more complicated surgery, you may want more time.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I would ask your vet for the name and number of a nearby vet who is open on those days to remove them. It might cost you, but if they're not ready to come out...

·
Registered
291 Posts
7 days should be OK if the wound has knitted well. Your vet will know if it is OK. I would however keep the dog on lead or crated for a couple of days so you can watch him. If he starts licking then he needs the cone of shame for a few days.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've decided to wait until Monday to have the stitches removed. His stitches will then be in for 13 days.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
10-14 days is standard. 7 is early but is usually OK. There's more scarring the longer you leave them in but for a neuter that shouldn't matter, LOL.

I always remove cat spay stitches myself :p. My male dogs weren't stitched and the vet that spayed Penny used dissolvable sutures, so I don't know if I would have tried to remove theirs myself or not. Depends how cooperative they were, I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts