Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here scale their own dogs teeth? I have been scaling my own dogs teeth for the past few dogs. I have attempted a few rescues successfully. Now I am trying the scariest challenge ever. I am thinking of scaling my Cats teeth. Her breath is unimaginable. Well, let's just say sort of raw sewage meets a tuna can. :eek: She loves to sit on my lap while I am on the computer. Lately I have been thinking the dogs tracked something in and I have been on a search for the odor. I hadn't been ready to blame poor Madeline for such a horrendous smell until she came up for a face to face meeting this morning. EEK! I worked on one tooth tonight. It looks better but she has the strongest lips in the world and is able to fold them around her teeth. She in NOT happy with the process either but I still think it is a better option for her if I can do it vs. putting her under to have them professionally done. Not to mention if I can avoid the vet bill that is not all bad either. When Inga died at 13 years old she had the teeth of a 2 year old. They were bright white and perfectly clean. It pays to take care of your animals teeth. Just wondering who out there scales their own animals teeth? Who brushes them regularly and if anyone has done a cat? Anyone even look at how teeny tiny those little cat teeth are? The front ones are the cutest little things I have ever seen. :) Um, yes, I have seen them before, it is just fresh in my mind now as I just took a chuck of tartar off one of her molars. Sort of smells better already.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I haven't scaled any of my animals teeth. I brush their teeth semi regularly (usually a couple times a week, dogs and cats). I give the dogs raw turkey necks every week or two as well and that helps a lot. Ruthie (cat) is going to need another dental I think at the vet. She came to us with horrible teeth issues.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol Good to know there are others out there with a good healthy respect for what a cat can do. I have always been a little afraid of cats. I always liked them but was a dog person. Then one day, I was at the right place at the right time to save a cats life and I have never been sorry. She was to be euthanized because the previous owners were having a baby and thought she would hurt the baby. She was 4 years old declawed on all 4 feet. I can give her baths and blow dry her. I started that before I knew how many cats do NOT allow such things. I do touch her mouth and on rare occasion I brush them. It doesn't go as smoothly as it does with the dogs because of how small her mouth is and she has the strongest lips in the North, South, East and West. The first time I brushed them she made noises that I know are used in horror movies. Happy was NOT the mood of the moment but we went slow and easy and lots and lots of treats and she is now much much better about it. When I scale teeth I use a normal dental scaler. I have a few different sizes. Obviously the smallest pick for the kitty. I will be doing only one tooth at a time so it will take a few weeks to complete but... I am determined, if nothing else. :) It will certainly improve her smelly breath.

·
Registered
282 Posts
So how exactly does one go about scaling their dogs teeth?
I have been brushing all of mines teeth daily and they eat raw food, however, my 2 pound girl has some dental issues that still need addressing. I've been looking into other products/options as I really do not want to put her under again to have her teeth cleaned. I spoke with my vet about doing it while she was under to be spayed but he felt that wasn't the best decision so we didn't do it....anyway...I recently heard about scaling and looked into it around my area but no one seems to do it. Is there a book or a video or something where you can learn how to do it yourself?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Good for you! That's great that you do that! I've never heard of anyone doing it themselves, other than a vet. And I HATE the thought of having to put a pet under anesthesia, or even just a sedative.
But, ooooh, there is absolutely no way I would attempt cleaning my cats teeth myself :eek:! I still have a 6 inch scar on the inside of my arm where my cat got ahold of me many years ago when my daughter was attempting to groom her, so yep, I definitely have a healthy respect for what kind of injury a cat can inflict! And both of my cats have all of their claws.
Good luck! Sounds like she's got a lot of trust in you!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I wish I could clean my cat's teeth. She can't be put under because she "died" on the table last time and the vet will not take the risk. Problem is, I don't know how i would make it positive for her, she is not food motivated. Training a cat who doesn't like treats seems beyond me. I get her claws a few at a time when she is sleepy, but her teeth? I think she would try to shred me.....

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Oh DjsMom thanks for the boost of confidence. LoL 6 inch scar huh? Once after I was telling my mom how I bathed and blow dried my cat (she has always been a cat person) she said "you should give my cat a bath." I really didn't know how opposed most of them are to being bathed. I tried to get her cat into a tub. Now, this from a person that has wrestled 125 pound Rottweiler's with aggression issues. I could NOT get that stinking cat into the tub for more then a few seconds. clicker training him? NOT there was no way in heck that cat was giving in to any of my wishes no matter what I was willing to offer him. I guess he was part of the reason I was always a dog person. My cat is wonderful. She has helped me train several dogs too. :)

4lilmunchkins: Why did your vet tell you that it wasn't the best decision to scale your dogs teeth while she was under for her spay? That certainly seems like the best time to do such things. Maybe the release of bacteria? I don't know, but my vet tends to think the "one stop shopping" is the best route with putting a dog under. Anything that needs to be done or looked at is done at the same time. It was one of my vets that showed me how to scale the teeth. My dogs lay on their sides very very well while I do it. You need to be very very careful of their gums. Obviously you don't want to poke them and injure them. I got my dental tools from my vet as well. You should ask your vet more detailed why they won't do them when she is under and if he/she would show you how to do it? Your dog will have to be really well trained to lay still and it takes some time to get them used to it. Patience in the order of the day when trying to do that. Well worth the effort. IMO

MMM: I got this stuff called Grandma Lucy's freeze dried Chicken. Madeline would jump through fire for that stuff. She is not happy with me but like I said, I do only a little bit at a time. One molar tonight. Maybe tomorrow another. The fronts are not bad at all, it is pretty much just the few molars. PU! I had to do something, I couldn't take her breath anymore. I have to say, it is much easier doing the larger Rottweiler size teeth.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry ... I DO have confidence in you doing it, just not myself, & definite not with my cats! But if anyone can do it, I'm sure it'll be you!

My daughter & I just went about the whole thing poorly, but after that experience I just wasn't about to attempt to do it better another time. But it sounds like you're taking the whole process slowly & having been taking things in steps & are going about it the right way & I know you'll do just fine!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
When we had Sonja spayed (a cat---she was a stray and probably about 5 years old), we also asked to have her teeth cleaned (ugh, they were HORRIBLE!!! Her fur smelled bad from when she licked it). The vet said she didn't like to do dentals with spays, because of the bacteria from the teeth and the stress to the immune system from the spay. She did it, because Sonja's teeth were so awful, but she made us give her antibiotics for a couple weeks afterward.

I used to scale Willow's teeth, but I haven't tried it with my current dogs (I lost the scaler and forgot about it :eek: )......and I'm pretty sure none of the cats would stand for it. But my current dogs' teeth are pretty clean, from eating raw chicken quarters and beef ribs.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have a great suggestion that comes from new vet ! Add Apple cider vinegar to animals' drinking water or food. Since cats are picky maybe start with a really small quantity and build up slowly.

The ACV keeps teeth clean, and my vet told me that if they're not clean enough, once a week to brush them with gauze. ACV also has many other great propreties for humans and animals alike. I can't remember them (see link) but Akira's teeth have been cleaner than ever, enven cleaner than when I brushed them with toothbrush and vet's dental paste.

http://www.preciouspets.org/newsletters/articles/apple-cider-vinegar.htm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts