Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16-week-old dachshund/chihuahua mix. His last bathroom trip is at 10pm, and he normally sleeps through the night, but like clockwork, every morning at around 4:50-5:00 am, he starts barking to be let out of his crate. Now, this is the time I have to get up for school anyway, so during the week it's alright (though I'd prefer him not to bark), but on the weekends, when I don't get up, he still does at the same time. I'd like for him not to bark in his crate--is there anything I can do to stop/prevent this behavior? Should I just keep getting up at 5 since he probably has to go out? But, even if I take him out and put him back in his crate so I can go back to sleep, he's in the mood for playtime and will start barking in his crate, so I can't get any sleep anyway.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Unfortunately, dogs don't know about weekends. I suggest you get up to let him out because at 16 weeks he very likely does need to pee right then. You don't want him to have an accident. When my girl was a puppy she would whine to go out in the morning. On weekends or days I could sleep in I would stick her back in the crate after. If she whined or barked, I ignored her. It didn't take too long before she figured out that she doesn't play or get to come out until I get out of bed. You can try giving him a good chew toy (bully sticks or stuffed kongs are my personal favs, if he is fed kibble even put his breakfast in the Kong for him to work on) and go back to bed.

Is the crate in your room? I've always had the crate right next to the bed. When she would fuss I could hold my hand down for her to sniff and lick, and that seemed to calm her too.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
He's a puppy, they're on their own time table, much like babies. Some sleep in, some don't. You just have to ride it out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I found that my 16 week old lab will sleep till 930 if I let him sleep in bed with me.? DOn't know why but on days I need to sleep in I just put him in bed with me and he seems content till 9ish

1 - 4 of 4 Posts