Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it's been a few weeks since Duke was diagnosed with Giardia. It seems that the Giardia is gone but the loose stool remains. I contacted the vet and she has given us another round of the antibiotic and also a probiotic. He's also on a chicken and rice diet since Sunday. We are 2 1/2 days into the antibiotic and 3 days into the probiotic and there the stools are still loose. He is having smaller bowel movements and tonight the stools were orange and greenish looking. I'm starting to worry and plan on contacting the vet again tomorrow. I've been racking my brain for any other possible cause. I wonder if the fact that the cat has been hissing and chasing him more lately than ever before can be causing him stress and effecting his bowels. The dog is clearly afraid of the cat and won't walk by her without one of us. Prior to all of this occuring, his stools were normal. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I know giardia is really hard to treat, so he may still have giardia. Antibiotics can cause diarrhea, too, by upsetting the normal gut flora balance.

Have you tried canned pumpkin? Plain canned pumpkin (it's next to the pumpkin pie filling in the store, so be careful you get plain pumpkin) works really well at firming up stools and it shouldn't upset his stomach.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know giardia is really hard to treat, so he may still have giardia. Antibiotics can cause diarrhea, too, by upsetting the normal gut flora balance.

Have you tried canned pumpkin? Plain canned pumpkin (it's next to the pumpkin pie filling in the store, so be careful you get plain pumpkin) works really well at firming up stools and it shouldn't upset his stomach.
I believe the Giardia is gone after having treated it with 1 1/2 rounds of antibiotics. His poops no longer have that foul odor either. I think we are dealing with the byproduct of the antibiotics, even though I've been told that the antibiotic used to treat the Giardia is a binding one. He was on a preventative antibiotic prior to that due to his neuter. My boy does not like pumpkin but I have given him sweet potato and it hasn't worked. I'm now giving him fortiflora and goat's milk daily. Neither have worked. The vet is prescribing another antibiotic today. Ugh!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts