Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 month old Shit zu/Bischon mix and she is taking forever to train!!!
She still is peeing and pooping either in her crate or on the couch, etc EVEN after being taken out every few hours AND praising, etc for every good deed!!
She was doing OK for a while, with only a few accidents if we didn't get her out every 2 hours, but now, we will have her out--she will only play the whole time--then she will come back in and immediately go to her crate and pee or have an accident a few minutes later!!!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd start over with housetraining 101. Small dogs are sometimes notoriously slow in housetraining. My vet said their bladders are so tiny that they need to go frequently. How big is the pup's crate? It needs to be no bigger than giving her enough room to turn around and lie down - no bigger. Most dogs don't like messing where they sleep. Hopefully, you have a crate with a divider. If not, rig something like a box at one end to reduce the size of the crate. Limit what you put in the crate. I once had a very smart boxer pup who figured out that he could pee on a cloth toy to sop up the pee , the booger - no cloth toys in his crate for him for awhile!

Take her out once every hour on a leash, with no other conversation than, "go potty". Have you tried using a clicker? If not, try it and click, giving verbal praise ("good potty!") when she goes, followed by a small treat (use a piece of her kibble, if she'll eat it, or a very tiny piece of boiled chicken (no bigger than 1/2 the size of your pinkie fingernail). No playing until she's gone potty. If she goes, click, treat, then let her off the leash to play for a few minutes. If she doesn't go after 15 minutes, take her back inside and crate her. Take her out again in 30 minutes and repeat. No freedom in the house unless you've seen her go potty. Severely limit the amount of space she has to play in. If you can't see her, the space is too big. You can also tether her to you with her leash as you move about the house so you can keep an eye on her.

She'll need to go potty after a play session in the house, after a nap, and after eating. Again, no freedom unless you've seen her go potty.

·
Registered
591 Posts
my bichon/poodle was horrible to train !! I have read that bichons are notorious for this. Sohie still wont go out at times but uses her wee wee pads

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Start over with housetraining. When you can't keep your eyes on her, tether her to you. If taking her out every few hours doesn't work, take her out every couple hours. Take her out after eating, drinking, napping and playing. If you see her about to go, say NO and take her right out. Don't stop to get dressed or put on shoes; this means have something on your body all the time, including your feet. Make sure you are taking her out on leash always.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts