Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the guide, my 65 lb shepherd only needs 12.9 oz a day. When other brands require around 17-20 oz. that's a substantial difference. Can anyone shed a light on this. If that's the case, I can actually afford this. Lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
According to the guide, my 65 lb shepherd only needs 12.9 oz a day. When other brands require around 17-20 oz. that's a substantial difference. Can anyone shed a light on this. If that's the case, I can actually afford this. Lol
What other brands?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hmm, that is weird. On primal my yorkie only needs 1.9 ounces a day and on Natures variety she needed 2. Make sure you are putting the right percentages and same weight on each guide.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
That does seem light. Typically raw fed dogs need 2-3% of their *ideal* adult body weight per day, depending on activity level and size of dog. My 40 lb huskies get about 14 oz per day. For a 65 lb dog 17-20oz sounds right on target.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Double checked. It still says 12.9 oz.
Yeah, I looked at that, too. For a "highly active" dog they say 20.9 ounces. Maybe their definition of active is different than others'.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yeah, I looked at that, too. For a "highly active" dog they say 20.9 ounces. Maybe their definition of active is different than others'.
I think their definition of active is just different. I can't remember specifically what brands they were, but one calculator said 2% to maintain body weight and the other said 2.5% to maintain body weight.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I would trust it for starting point.

I've tried all those brands and Abe eats right on what the natures variety says he should which is considerably less than the other brands though he didn't gain weight eating more of the other brands.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll give it a whirl and see how she does. I actually need her to gain weight, she seems to have loose stools web I feed her more. Currently on taste of the wild.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts