Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an 8mo old American foxhound and for a while now I've noticed that she walks with stiff back legs. Sometimes she walks almost like her ancles are tied together, and she basically hops with her back legs.

She can sit, run, jump perfectly. Shows zero sign of discomfort or that she even notices. My dad thinks that it's because her back legs are so long that its the way she normally should walk. But I saw a husky the other day walking the exact same way. I don't think it's hip dysplacia, haven't gone to the vet about it though because of the fact she shows no discomfort. And the vets are quite expensive just to tell you your dogs okay.

This isn't a huge issue, just something that's been making me worry a little for when she gets older. Any idea what it could be? We feed her "now! Fresh" puppy food.

Any reply would be helpful! Thanks! image.jpg

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Honestly, the hopping sounds like hip dysplasia, which very well may not cause any obvious discomfort until the dog is older.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It honestly does sound like signs of hip dysplasia,because dogs,especially young energetic dogs can be pretty good about not showing signs of discomfort.
I would bring the dog to the vet to be safe,your dog is young enough to get help for it if needed. Bunny hopping up stairs,stiffness when getting up,stiffness with one or both back legs when walking and sitting to the side are all signs of it

·
Banned
243 Posts
Yeah, it's kind of weird. Early signs of hip dysplasia, maybe some knee problems or even juvenile arthritis... definitely take him to a vet before you spend 6 months trying every food under the sun only to find out that he needs meds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the weird part though, it's not so much her hips as it is her knees. She walks almost like she's got her knees locked. Would hip dysplacia have an effect on her knees or could it be something else?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
That's the weird part though, it's not so much her hips as it is her knees. She walks almost like she's got her knees locked. Would hip dysplacia have an effect on her knees or could it be something else?
Well, if she is altering her gait to compensate for discomfort or reduced motion in her hips, it could affect her knees, but dogs can have knee problems too. Either way, the best way to find out is to go to the vet, who can take X-rays and do other diagnostics to actually try to find out what the problem is. Or you can not go to the vet and just keep guessing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts