Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just got a Brittany spaniel and am very familiar with the breed for I grew up with them. My parents breed them but are horrible breeders, they are strictly in it for the money and keep there dogs in very bad conditions. Usually they would make me pay for a dog from them, but I was given one of their Brittany's yesterday for the fact that she is too old for them to profit from and they just didn't want her as breeding stock (in their words). I was happy to take this britt in and named he Bree, I had her checked by a vet and all her shots done. She has fur loss from an allergy to the straw she was kept in and is lactating due to a false pregnancy. At around a year and a half she never seen the outside of the horse stall she was born in and only saw people when it was feeding time. This is the biggest challenge I have ever taken on and my mother has little hopes for the recovery of Bree, but I know she will come around and is completely worth it all. She has to be carried in and out of the house to go potty, and today was the first time she pooped and thankfully it was outside, she still has yet to pee outside. When we picked her up this morning to take her to the vet she peed as we lifted her due to her having to go so bad for it was a large quantity. She was scared of the food and water bowls but has the hang of it now, although I couldn't get her to eat today and I think it was because my daughters came back from their dads and the change in people stressed her out. She is unresponsive to coaxing and treats, so it's hard to reward her or anything right now. I am keeping a video diary of her progress to look back on. This dog has my heart and is very special to me, I also have a chihuahua who is a very well socialized little girl and very well behaved for a chihuahua. Bree finally started to move around outside with Chloe (the chihuahua) today, mostly crawling but it was progress. She also will walk from the door to the couch now when I set her in the door and has started getting onto the couch to lounge.

·
Registered
703 Posts
God bess you and your little pup. I'm sad to hear about your parents, but I'm happy you learned a different way.

Hello, I just got a Brittany spaniel and am very familiar with the breed for I grew up with them. My parents breed them but are horrible breeders, they are strictly in it for the money and keep there dogs in very bad conditions. Usually they would make me pay for a dog from them, but I was given one of their Brittany's yesterday for the fact that she is too old for them to profit from and they just didn't want her as breeding stock (in their words). I was happy to take this britt in and named he Bree, I had her checked by a vet and all her shots done. She has fur loss from an allergy to the straw she was kept in and is lactating due to a false pregnancy. At around a year and a half she never seen the outside of the horse stall she was born in and only saw people when it was feeding time. This is the biggest challenge I have ever taken on and my mother has little hopes for the recovery of Bree, but I know she will come around and is completely worth it all. She has to be carried in and out of the house to go potty, and today was the first time she pooped and thankfully it was outside, she still has yet to pee outside. When we picked her up this morning to take her to the vet she peed as we lifted her due to her having to go so bad for it was a large quantity. She was scared of the food and water bowls but has the hang of it now, although I couldn't get her to eat today and I think it was because my daughters came back from their dads and the change in people stressed her out. She is unresponsive to coaxing and treats, so it's hard to reward her or anything right now. I am keeping a video diary of her progress to look back on. This dog has my heart and is very special to me, I also have a chihuahua who is a very well socialized little girl and very well behaved for a chihuahua. Bree finally started to move around outside with Chloe (the chihuahua) today, mostly crawling but it was progress. She also will walk from the door to the couch now when I set her in the door and has started getting onto the couch to lounge.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwe ... I am so glad you are rescuing her from her previous life! I wish you all the luck in the world that she can become a normal little dog and live the rest of her life healthy and happy! Bless you! :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Good for you! She will get better. Kabota never saw anything but his crate for 3 years, and he's become quite the social butterfly. It took some patience, but we're getting there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You guys, she is a sweetheart and we are slowly making little bits of progress that she is comfortable with. Tonight she was giving me kisses so I figure that's a start! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I added a link to the first of the video diaries under the dog pictures category. There are several videos on there leading to today (day 3).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts