Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our puppy is almost 12 weeks old--we've had her for 2 weeks. We watch her constantly, and the couple times we messed up on that is when she's had accidents. We are crate training and I'm learning that if I'm at all distracted, she needs to be in her crate. Anyway, she does go to the bathroom outside with very few accidents in the house so far.

How do we begin teaching her to let us know when she has to go outside? I understand this may not happen for a while, but what can we be doing now to work that in to the routine? Thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Several different approaches. Some like the bell hung by the door where you teach her to ring it as you go out. Others, myself included, like to teach barking (as I own Shelties this is pretty easy). For the barking, you stop at the door and get them excited to go out....OUT??? YES?? READY???....knock on the door...anything... to provoke a bark. At first, a single bark is fine. Praise, treat and immediately open the door.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The bells are a good way, plus if you ever have her stay at someone else's house, you can bring the bells with and it should make it easier for other people to know she needs to go out.

Somehow, my puppy figured out at around 9 weeks old that the door will open if she just goes and sits by it. She's 12 weeks old now... and if I don't get over to the door right away, she'll look back at me like "helloooo? You gonna open this?" and occasionally she has started whining. However, she has had 1 or 2 accidents right in front of the door when I haven't realized she was standing there. So I'm thinking of teaching her to paw at it... she's a boxer, shouldn't be hard to do that!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts