Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
IMO, all dogs are unpredictable and you can never how they will react to such behaviors until you try it. I'd rather me try it than a child. My dog is also very mouthy still, so she needs work overall.

By bopping on the head I mean repeated bops with my fist. Well that just sounds abusive, lol. It's soft bopping. It's pretty much the same as getting smacked on the bum, which is the equvialent of a really, really good bum scratch. I'm also working with her on getting used to objects coming toward her head/face, though not touching her, since it does make her cower and run away at times. I know she has the potential to be a fear biter and I want to desensitize her to every possible scary thing that a child can do.
I do agree that to an extent any dog is "unpredictable", hell even humans can be and we can communicate through languages with each other very easy. So in the manner that they can surprise us or do something we wouldn't think they could do is true.

Taking that a step further however, just because a dog (not saying yours) will let you do something doesn't mean they will let another person, including a child. A dog might let an adult pull their ear, open their mouth but growl at a child. They might let one adult owner check their teeth but snap if another adult owner tries. Not that I don't think it is worth a shot, but with some dogs they might only react fine with certain person/people and others act fine with whoever is doing whatever.

I think it is great that you are working with your dog. Especially since there might be some fear issues. Also thank you for explaining the bobbing. To me there is nothing wrong with that. I was thinking of what the other poster described with the little girl. Really does not sound abusive at all, your not hurting her or being mean spirited.

VWASKO, & Spicy1, has moved up to my best of the bestest buddy list on this forum, unfortunately that bumps Carla down acouple, but not the gracious Elana!

I just had to add and even more change the subject, but I think you will enjoy and understand fully.

When the wife and I went into the Jeep dealership, I was just looking and no intent to buy, but then when I looked at the best jeep they had on the floor the sales guy started offering us incentives. Almost 2K for being in the military, 1K for going throrugh a federal credit Union, another 1K for getting bald on top It came up to 10K,lol then they gave us much more for the trade in then the blue book states.

So two week later just waking up drinking my first sip of coffee, and I read in the paper how the present administration is angry with Chrysler for not discontinuing the Grand Cherokee line. That ticked me (not the type that like dogs) off, so I laminated the atricle and it hanging from rear view mirror.:D

Now I am waiting to see if they are going to discontinue Jeeps, that to me is like banning apple pie, Thanksgiving. I need a four wheel drive to get in and out of my house in the winter for sure. I live on top of a mountain:eek:
Best of the bestest buddy list. Well that is nice.

That sounds like a very good deal! Who could pass that up and funny with having the article hanging.

Since International bought Jeep I'm sure we should continue to see them and hopefully will be good worth something vehicles again. As International kicks ass I would bet on it. I know what you mean with the winters, same here, we had blizzards still in april and had over 2ft of snow in the drive couldn't get out if I didn't have the appropriate vehicle.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
VWASKO, & Spicy1, has moved up to my best of the bestest buddy list on this forum, unfortunately that bumps Carla down acouple, but not the gracious Elana!

I just had to add and even more change the subject, but I think you will enjoy and understand fully.

When the wife and I went into the Jeep dealership, I was just looking and no intent to buy, but then when I looked at the best jeep they had on the floor the sales guy started offering us incentives. Almost 2K for being in the military, 1K for going throrugh a federal credit Union, another 1K for getting bald on top It came up to 10K,lol then they gave us much more for the trade in then the blue book states.

So two week later just waking up drinking my first sip of coffee, and I read in the paper how the present administration is angry with Chrysler for not discontinuing the Grand Cherokee line. That ticked me (not the type that like dogs) off, so I laminated the atricle and it hanging from rear view mirror.:D

Now I am waiting to see if they are going to discontinue Jeeps, that to me is like banning apple pie, Thanksgiving. I need a four wheel drive to get in and out of my house in the winter for sure. I live on top of a mountain:eek:
You do realize that eventually they are probably gonna outlaw these rigs, by that time we will be wearing helmets in our cars as well as on Harleys/etc. (not in IL yet)
At least you can say you made a stand. We are in the boonies and in IL sometimes get bad weather, If I want to, or have to go somewhere. doG Dam* it I want to get there.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Both dobermans and Rotties have had their fad times, and myths of aggression have followed them along like a plague. Now it's the Pitties time to be in the spotlight of ignorance and hate, and it doesn't help that stories like this are all the media shows. It doesn't talk about labs or beagles, or any dogs that aren't bully looking as much as it talks about "pit bulls"
I had a rottie up till 6 days ago and still have a doberman!!!!! They are the sweetest and most gentle dogs ever! It is all in how you raise them, a little of their bloodline and being a responsible owner! We had gretta for 10+years and have zeus for 5 years in july. I can assure you 100% certanty it is being a responsible owner and all in how you raise them!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I had a rottie up till 6 days ago and still have a doberman!!!!! They are the sweetest and most gentle dogs ever! It is all in how you raise them, a little of their bloodline and being a responsible owner! We had gretta for 10+years and have zeus for 5 years in july. I can assure you 100% certanty it is being a responsible owner and all in how you raise them!
Breed-schmeed, The only requirement needed for a dog bite is teeth, the responsible dog owner knows this and tries to stay on top of it.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
mandymmr I wasn't saying rotties or dobies are bad, but they've had their times where they were thought to be. Some people still believe that all dobermans brains swell which makes them go crazy...

61 - 65 of 65 Posts