Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
National Stockdog Registry Aussies (working cattle dogs) are pretty persistent "heel nippers" so I can understand some concern, but mostly, these dogs, properly bred, will drown you with tongue-baths.
They can also be very protective and bite as well. My childhood Aussie bit a few kids when threw a rock, or hit my little sister etc.. Difference being they don't bite to attack and draw blood, and it's a quick action that is not followed up. They aren't going to latch on and hang on and kill a kid, whereas a bulldog is more in it's breeding to grab and hold, as in grab and hold a bull by the nose.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I didn't know being licked to death would be considered dangerous as would be the case with my Aussie :D

I have seen some cases that point to the Aussie as the next "dangerous" breed. but heres to hoping those cases are isolated.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Whoa Keechak are you serious? I would not think such a thing. Just because the hair and their looks. Goes to show any breed can be sought for such reasons.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thankyou Spicy1, very thorough explanation. You have a very deep passion for the breed, and we may very well have one common denominator, above average passion for our dogs. Think how life would be for us if they did not exist:( I would take the company of dogs over most humans, maybe except my wife especially if she reads this....lol

This month is my So or DA what ever the kids call their partners in life, "Birthday" and I went and bought her a gas guzzler, 2009 Grand Jeep Cherokee, with a HEMI.

Its My male dogs birthday month as well, he got a 25 pack of bully sticks, guess who is more apprecitive lolo:D

·
Registered
393 Posts
If some of the chihuahuas I'd met were 50 lbs, they'd be the new pit bull.
No kidding! The most aggressive dogs I've met have been small little dogs.
Black, professional athlete? (no racist) they just seem to prefer this breed.
Hm, I hadn't seen this trend emerging :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Now as far as the kid banging those poor dogs on the head, how long do you think a PIT BULL will take it? We do not know what that kid in the post was doing before the attack? Good question you think spic1?

answer: Depends on how well the owner worked with the the dog, ah yes! its the owners fault if the dog gets p--sed off and retaliates. True, but you must consider the inherited genetic temperment of each breed, and potential thereof.
Depends on the dog and the owner if I may chime in here. My APBT Lily has been tortured beyond what anyone could expect a dog to tolerate...I happen to have a very well meaning but nonetheless abusive 2 year old...which means he likes to pet the dog (with a nice slap on the head) and pull her tail, ears, etc...
She's yet to reach a breaking point where she just decided "hey, I'm sick of your crap already" - which most of that I attribute to the fact that I am supervising, and while I cannot thwart every single attack, I can minimize them.

Would I expect this out of every dog out there, most certainly not...regardless of breed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
All three of my dogs have pit in them and while Lady leans towards being DA she has been around 4 kids all over the age of 5 now but they were with her as babies and she dealt with the ear pulling, the standard 1 year old pet (hit on head) and having her toys taken away. All with us adults around and trying to minimize the problems but well you can’t catch everything the little kids do. She would never hurt another human. When I tickle my daughter Lady will come over and take my hand in her mouth move it away from my daughter and then jump on the couch between us to "protect" my child.

Bella and Andromeda are some of the sweetest, calmest, laid back dogs that I have ever met in my life.

BTW dogs that I have been bitten by were a poodle and a golden retriever

I hate when people make sterotypes, a pit must have done it, black person owns pit and doesnt care if it attacks people....ect

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I don't understand why anything is every blamed on a breed.

I'm SURE that every breed of dog has bitten and/or attacked a person at some time or another. Just because a certain type of (stupid) people are attracted to breeds like APBTs does not make the entire breed monsters.

Working at a vet I come across many, many dogs AND they are in a stressful place, but I have only once come across an aggressive pit bull at work. And after talking to his owners you can immediately see why the dog is so unsocialized. It's sad.

I have been bit or nearly bit by many dogs, but if I held their entire breed responsible I'd have to say I don't like labs, huskies, cockers, chihuahuas, retrievers, malamutes, min pins, dachshunds....I could go on and on.

I think everyone who has problems with entire breeds SHOULD work for a vet! It's so interesting to see which dogs are biters and how their owners are. The owners who over-spoil their dogs or just don't care quite enough about the dogs are almost always the ones who have problematic dogs.

Bella and Andromeda are some of the sweetest, calmest, laid back dogs that I have ever met in my life.
Can I just say that your dogs are some of the cutest I have ever seen! I have been meaning to say that...but they are SO cute! And I love the names....Andromeda and Bella :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
My first Aussie had fear-aggression issues and we had to keep her away from people. She also had a very strong work ethic and as more of a stockdog than a pet dog but we persevered with her and loved her dearly. We just had to make sure that she was in a safe place when strangers came into the home, for she was as fierce a protector as any dog on this earth.

My new Aussie is from a breeder and he is just as good a boy as can be. He loves people and makes friends with everything and everyone, but he does woof and makes a good watchdog.:D

He is still a baby, only 5 months now, but a sweet, dear puppy.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Who works a dog to be beat in the head or "be nice" when being beat.
I'm actually doing just this thing.
There's been three babies born recently that will end up around my dog in the future, so my mum and I are both working with her on baby behavior. Pulling ears, playing with her lips and putting hands in her mouth, pulling her tail and yes, bopping her on the head. She adores it. It's so much attention to her it's silly.
But I think it's something anyone whose going to have kids should do; prepare their dog for what might happen, even if you do everything in your power to not allow it.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Awww....I bet Jonas is a cutie, though. I think the doxies are pretty dogs, and I've always loved the look of them.
That's the downside to Jonas. :) Now, I'm biased, but I think he's the cutest doxie I've ever seen. A lot of people, especially children, really want to pet him, but it just can't happen. Men especially are his no zone. Though, exciting break through from our classes, he walked up and asked my boyfriend's father to pick him up. Admittedly, I cried a few happy tears when it happened.

In relation to the thread, there is the difference between owners who have dogs that attack people and owners that don't. This pit, or whatever the dog actually is, more than likely didn't just decide to attack one day. Jonas is very high strung and has been aggressive in the past. His previous owners did not care for him, and he came to me a shell of a dog with a propensity to bite and be weary of every one. We've had him and have been working with him for a year now and he's really coming around. He'll never be a "normal" dog, but he can be managed. And definitely loved.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
They can also be very protective and bite as well. My childhood Aussie bit a few kids when threw a rock, or hit my little sister etc.. Difference being they don't bite to attack and draw blood, and it's a quick action that is not followed up. They aren't going to latch on and hang on and kill a kid, whereas a bulldog is more in it's breeding to grab and hold, as in grab and hold a bull by the nose.
I agree in general a gripping breed is more apt to grip but that is a big generalization. It is like those who say they would rather get attacked by a retreiver then another breed because they have a "soft mouth". Which only means that they don't damage the game, handle it with care. It means little when they are mauling you as they have proven by doing severe damage in attacks.

Your Aussie wouldn't do that - bite to attack. Just a nip. But if an Aussie attacks it could be very damaging. Even without gripping. It is certainly possible they could kill a child if it was an attack, not just a quick nip. Unstability can exist in all breeds even though an Aussie should not do such. Just the same when Pits bite or nip they do just that. Not drawing blood or very little, just needs a bandaid. When Pits attack typically they will hold and shake as you said, but they do just bite and let go also. Like other breeds even though not gripping breeds/bully breeds sometimes bite and hang on.

Thankyou Spicy1, very thorough explanation. You have a very deep passion for the breed, and we may very well have one common denominator, above average passion for our dogs. Think how life would be for us if they did not exist:( I would take the company of dogs over most humans, maybe except my wife especially if she reads this....lol

This month is my So or DA what ever the kids call their partners in life, "Birthday" and I went and bought her a gas guzzler, 2009 Grand Jeep Cherokee, with a HEMI.

Its My male dogs birthday month as well, he got a 25 pack of bully sticks, guess who is more apprecitive lolo:D
No problem, I'm always glad to discuss and share info.

Life without dogs, not something I want to think about.

LOL my DH got me a Jeep too. From the other end though I totally know what you mean, sure he is happy when I get him something. The dogs act like it is the best day of their life everytime.

Depends on the dog and the owner if I may chime in here. My APBT Lily has been tortured beyond what anyone could expect a dog to tolerate...I happen to have a very well meaning but nonetheless abusive 2 year old...which means he likes to pet the dog (with a nice slap on the head) and pull her tail, ears, etc...
She's yet to reach a breaking point where she just decided "hey, I'm sick of your crap already" - which most of that I attribute to the fact that I am supervising, and while I cannot thwart every single attack, I can minimize them.

Would I expect this out of every dog out there, most certainly not...regardless of breed.
Totally relate there. I think 1-2yr is bad for that stage. They start at petting (hitting, slapping), pinching, pulling. Then goes on. Pulling ears, tail, putting fingers in nose. Mine like it, as it is just attention to them. What worried me is the eye pushing, not that the dog would do anything about it, but that they might get a bad eye injury from having it pushed it.

I'm actually doing just this thing.
There's been three babies born recently that will end up around my dog in the future, so my mum and I are both working with her on baby behavior. Pulling ears, playing with her lips and putting hands in her mouth, pulling her tail and yes, bopping her on the head. She adores it. It's so much attention to her it's silly.
But I think it's something anyone whose going to have kids should do; prepare their dog for what might happen, even if you do everything in your power to not allow it.
That is fine for you but I should not, as it is unnecesarry (for mine anyway). If someone likes to do that and feels better that way it is fine with me. Exactly with mine, they like the attention someone gives them, including a child poking and pulling. They don't need any prep work. I can't think why should I do this.

Bopping on the head means what? Repetitively hitting on the head with an object such as bat, hockey stick, golf club, wood?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
So for anyone who is unsure about Pit Bulls...you must, must, must watch the DogTown episode with Mike Vick's dogs! I am watching it right now for the third time and it touches my heart more and more each time.

It amazes me how these dogs were treated so appallingly, disgustingly and yet they still show such love and willingness to please people. It's amazing!

Many of the dogs - who used to fight in a pit - end up with their CGC! It's really touching an inspiring!

·
Registered
190 Posts
That is fine for you but I should not, as it is unnecesarry (for mine anyway). If someone likes to do that and feels better that way it is fine with me. Exactly with mine, they like the attention someone gives them, including a child poking and pulling. They don't need any prep work. I can't think why should I do this.

Bopping on the head means what? Repetitively hitting on the head with an object such as bat, hockey stick, golf club, wood?
IMO, all dogs are unpredictable and you can never how they will react to such behaviors until you try it. I'd rather me try it than a child. My dog is also very mouthy still, so she needs work overall.

By bopping on the head I mean repeated bops with my fist. Well that just sounds abusive, lol. It's soft bopping. It's pretty much the same as getting smacked on the bum, which is the equvialent of a really, really good bum scratch. I'm also working with her on getting used to objects coming toward her head/face, though not touching her, since it does make her cower and run away at times. I know she has the potential to be a fear biter and I want to desensitize her to every possible scary thing that a child can do.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
If it had been written better I possibly would have understood it. I meant no offense.

How long a Pit Bull would take it, if we look in general probably a very long time. How well the owner worked with the dog is BS to me, that goes out the window in such a situation. Who works a dog to be beat in the head or "be nice" when being beat.

To answer APBT specifically it does break down to genetics. APBT the temperament is to be submissive and take it. Most would probably lay there and take it, others will walk away. Though not run, flight like the dogs described of your neighbor. They walk away to stop it but not out of pain/fear. Some will take the injustice of children as attention, they are more then willing as its not a bother, they can't help it because they love people so much. If we consider that they will take harsh beatings for life without ever defending themselves we'd have to see some bangs from a child as insignificant.

That is what I love about dogs, especially APBT, very resilent. However we can't just look at breed temperament, as not all breeds fit proper temperament. (obviously as one just attacked a child) APBT should take it forever. But it depends on that individual APBT. There are breed descriptions but those are generalizations and standards doesn't mean all dogs of a given breed will fit. Some APBT could be intolerant and tire quickly growl or bite. Others might not have the confident temperament and will run away and try to hide from the kid or kids in general.

I only think it is the owner's fault that they don't control their kid/dog. That goes no matter the breed. I know too many parents which let their kids torment their pets and when the dog bites or always growls at all kids its only the dog which is scolded. We can find dogs of any breed that will bite once they've finally reached their breaking point, as they are just animals after all. Especially one of such type that runs away, if they are where they can't get away it could mean growling or lead to a fear aggressive attack.

Some breeds by breed alone seem to be less tolerant in general. Though people at times really hate to hear the genetics. They want to believe "it's all in how you raise them" BS.

The same is true of APBT (the part following but mostly) however we see what bad breeding and careless owners combined has brought about. I do of course hope Aussie will not become a breed known for many bites or attacks. My point is only that popularity, bad breeders and bad owners = unstable and dangerous dogs. So there could possibly be a rise. As of late I've heard more so of Aussie attacking/fighting with other dogs rather then too many bites on humans.

The pit bull many times shown on TV dog shows is usually American Staffordshire Terrier. Which are AKC dogs, APBTs were registered with AKC and the name changed. The AmStaff just as the APBT has some different looks, sometimes they look much alike but many times it is easy to tell by looks if they are APBT or AST. Vicks dogs had a range of looks from small to large dogs and builds. Over sized heads and broad chest, I believe you are thinking of American Bullies maybe? Which is not a fighting breed but bred of course for big head and chest. Darkmoons dog is from a shelter, though he is lovely looking, typically your not going to find a dog that meets up with "best of breed" in the shelter. Sure some fighting dogs might not have balance, but that would really not be the majority to be over sized in areas as they are not bred for that.

I realize this is just one fighting dog but oversized head and broad chest, I think not.

Of course you can't really tell if a dog is a fighting dog just by looking at its build either.

You can google American Bully to see if that is the same or if I'm way off.
Just wanted to say that this is a great post Spicy......I agree:D

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well I'm feeling a lot better, last 9/08 we purchased a 2008 Trailblazer LE 2.5 (that's a 2 with some 3 options) We could not pass up the deals out then. I have an idea there are gonna be more Jeep etc purchases with the sales going on.

I'm proud of you I did not think with the much earlier reply you had you were gonna get out alive. You are a smooth talker.:cool:

·
Registered
962 Posts
VWASKO, & Spicy1, has moved up to my best of the bestest buddy list on this forum, unfortunately that bumps Carla down acouple, but not the gracious Elana!

I just had to add and even more change the subject, but I think you will enjoy and understand fully.

When the wife and I went into the Jeep dealership, I was just looking and no intent to buy, but then when I looked at the best jeep they had on the floor the sales guy started offering us incentives. Almost 2K for being in the military, 1K for going throrugh a federal credit Union, another 1K for getting bald on top It came up to 10K,lol then they gave us much more for the trade in then the blue book states.

So two week later just waking up drinking my first sip of coffee, and I read in the paper how the present administration is angry with Chrysler for not discontinuing the Grand Cherokee line. That ticked me (not the type that like dogs) off, so I laminated the atricle and it hanging from rear view mirror.:D

Now I am waiting to see if they are going to discontinue Jeeps, that to me is like banning apple pie, Thanksgiving. I need a four wheel drive to get in and out of my house in the winter for sure. I live on top of a mountain:eek:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I love Michael Vick's old dog Leo, he looks like such a sweet therapy dog :D
Me too! I think Georgia is my favorite though! Poor girl!

41 - 60 of 65 Posts