Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
How terrible pit bulls can be, attacking an other member of their own pack, and a child to boot Thats it I will never have a pit bull.....................unless the price is right, and from a good quality BYB

This part i think the poster is just being a smart butt about it trying to defuse the situation by making a joke perhaps?

Next door the people have two children, one is nine and quite smart for his age, but there two year old plus, well she is a different story. The boy is into hockey big time, so he likes to practice hitting the puck into the nets setup. So the little girl wants her own hockey stick, (she gets one), but she into hitting there two ( yes rescure dogs a GS mix and collie mix, on the head with the stick, they are starting to learn as she approaches get up and move away!

what im getting from this part is that even though the child is annoying the dogs, the dogs have learned to move away from the child without reacting(biting growling, snapping)

Now you know, its the girls that can be a pain, even on this forum attacking or coming down on a innocent poster that wants to buy a BYB dog, like I do, gezzz, golly!

Again trying to lighten the situation up ...

just my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Next door the people have two children, one is nine and quite smart for his age, but there two year old plus, well she is a different story. The boy is into hockey big time, so he likes to practice hitting the puck into the nets setup. So the little girl wants her own hockey stick, (she gets one), but she into hitting there two ( yes rescure dogs a GS mix and collie mix, on the head with the stick, they are starting to learn as she approaches get up and move away!

what im getting from this part is that even though the child is annoying the dogs, the dogs have learned to move away from the child without reacting(biting growling, snapping)
Ok that makes some sense. How sad it still is. Irresponsible parents/dog owner. IMO the dogs should not react that way (biting/growling), but the parent should step in and teach the child. The dogs should not have to live in fear of the child. My dogs just lay there and take it rather then run away, but still it is the children which I train to be kind towards the dogs even though the dogs "don't mind" (or act like they don't anyway). Hopefully she will never get them backed into a corner where they can't flight and something bad happens.

Perhaps English is not the posters first language so that could be what is up with some of the wording. That that would be quite understandable.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
If pitbulls are the favorite dog among people who allow their dogs to attack people, who can refute this statistic.

It is what it is......
yes they are the favorite now but once and god forbid this happens, they are banned in most places, they will turn to another breed of dog to use to 'attack people' or for fighting.

its just sad that people dont give a hoot about the animals that they use and throw away.

·
Registered
286 Posts
yes they are the favorite now but once and god forbid this happens, they are banned in most places, they will turn to another breed of dog to use to 'attack people' or for fighting.

its just sad that people dont give a hoot about the animals that they use and throw away.
Yes, it is sad that so many people are complete low grade morons when it comes to animals and pets.:(

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I have seen some cases that point to the Aussie as the next "dangerous" breed. but heres to hoping those cases are isolated.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think any dog can be mean. I was attacked by a black standard poodle when I was 6. Still kind of scared of those dogs.

I've also been bitten by a cocker spaniel. Not normally thought of as dangerous, but this one certainly was unstable.

If some of the chihuahuas I'd met were 50 lbs, they'd be the new pit bull.

·
Registered
962 Posts
very good perception Eris13021, I should have realized it would go over most heads. Everytime PIT BULL is mentioned, as well as BYB, the special defence crowd go into high gear mode. Try and stay coool :D

Now as far as the kid banging those poor dogs on the head, how long do you think a PIT BULL will take it? We do not know what that kid in the post was doing before the attack? Good question you think spic1?

answer: Depends on how well the owner worked with the the dog, ah yes! its the owners fault if the dog gets p--sed off and retaliates. True, but you must consider the inherited genetic temperment of each breed, and potential thereof.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have seen some cases that point to the Aussie as the next "dangerous" breed. but heres to hoping those cases are isolated.
National Stockdog Registry Aussies (working cattle dogs) are pretty persistent "heel nippers" so I can understand some concern, but mostly, these dogs, properly bred, will drown you with tongue-baths.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
If some of the chihuahuas I'd met were 50 lbs, they'd be the new pit bull.
LOL. Same goes for my Miniature Dachshund. We're prepared to deal with his temperament, but every day we joke that thank goodness he's not more than 10 lbs. We're working with him, we don't allow children around him, we love him, and I can take a hit. ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
LOL. Same goes for my Miniature Dachshund. We're prepared to deal with his temperament, but every day we joke that thank goodness he's not more than 10 lbs. We're working with him, we don't allow children around him, we love him, and I can take a hit. ;)
Yes. My son got bit by a mini-dach....they aren't good around kids.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Oh well, Tough week for Harrison with his WHite House comments(quite possibly the stupidest thing i've heard all year) and now this.

What other breed is it going to be? Black, professional athlete? (no racist) they just seem to prefer this breed.
Thats pretty ignorant and it IS a racist comment in my opinion. Otherwise colour would have never been mentioned...I know lots of african canadians/americans that own all sorts of breeds chihuahua's all the way to danes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
True, but you must consider the inherited genetic temperment of each breed, and potential thereof.
In the breed standard for the APBT, it's a fault to show fear or aggression. Their temparment is not to be human aggressive.

If you take your scenario and put that dog in a corner and the girl with a stick, a dog will more than likely follow the fight or flight instinct. If it cannot flee, it will fight, be it warnings or a bite. Instinct rules when it comes to fear and corners if you ask me.

From another poster's comment the breed hasn't actually been specified, and this article is no different. 'Pit bull' can be any type of dog - including a mutt that's blocky. Journalists are just too lazy to type more words.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Yes. My son got bit by a mini-dach....they aren't good around kids.
Jonas is a fear biter. Luckily, he gives lots of warning, and will run away every time if he can. We can safely bring him in public, and children have pet him before, but I have to be on him like a hawk to make sure he isn't getting over whelmed. I would never trust leaving him alone with anyone, let alone a child. Unfortunately, he wasn't raised by me and had a rough life.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Awww....I bet Jonas is a cutie, though. I think the doxies are pretty dogs, and I've always loved the look of them.
:)

ps- hope not chihuahua owners were offended. I've met a few nice ones, those that had owners that didn't baby the crap out of them.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
very good perception Eris13021, I should have realized it would go over most heads. Everytime PIT BULL is mentioned, as well as BYB, the special defence crowd go into high gear mode. Try and stay coool :D

Now as far as the kid banging those poor dogs on the head, how long do you think a PIT BULL will take it? We do not know what that kid in the post was doing before the attack? Good question you think spic1?

answer: Depends on how well the owner worked with the the dog, ah yes! its the owners fault if the dog gets p--sed off and retaliates. True, but you must consider the inherited genetic temperment of each breed, and potential thereof.
i had a rottie, that my daughter could crawl on, sleep with do anything to but i spent time with him to and i had him since the day she was born, that was 'his girl'. Sadly he was stolen, cause he was too dang laid back.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Zr. I have never been interested in the PB or bull dog line, so that explains much of my ignorance of the breed, but that said I would not turn any dog away in need and I was in the position to help.

I watch some of the dog shows on TV, my wife loves them, and when it comes to the APBT, now this dog does not look anything like Michael Vicks dogs. Correct me but they do not seem to have over sized heads, and as broad a chest as the fighting dogs do, am I correct at that? For example Darkmoons dog does not look anything like the dogs in the best of breed APBT.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts

If it had been written better I possibly would have understood it. I meant no offense.

How long a Pit Bull would take it, if we look in general probably a very long time. How well the owner worked with the dog is BS to me, that goes out the window in such a situation. Who works a dog to be beat in the head or "be nice" when being beat.

To answer APBT specifically it does break down to genetics. APBT the temperament is to be submissive and take it. Most would probably lay there and take it, others will walk away. Though not run, flight like the dogs described of your neighbor. They walk away to stop it but not out of pain/fear. Some will take the injustice of children as attention, they are more then willing as its not a bother, they can't help it because they love people so much. If we consider that they will take harsh beatings for life without ever defending themselves we'd have to see some bangs from a child as insignificant.

That is what I love about dogs, especially APBT, very resilent. However we can't just look at breed temperament, as not all breeds fit proper temperament. (obviously as one just attacked a child) APBT should take it forever. But it depends on that individual APBT. There are breed descriptions but those are generalizations and standards doesn't mean all dogs of a given breed will fit. Some APBT could be intolerant and tire quickly growl or bite. Others might not have the confident temperament and will run away and try to hide from the kid or kids in general.

I only think it is the owner's fault that they don't control their kid/dog. That goes no matter the breed. I know too many parents which let their kids torment their pets and when the dog bites or always growls at all kids its only the dog which is scolded. We can find dogs of any breed that will bite once they've finally reached their breaking point, as they are just animals after all. Especially one of such type that runs away, if they are where they can't get away it could mean growling or lead to a fear aggressive attack.

Some breeds by breed alone seem to be less tolerant in general. Though people at times really hate to hear the genetics. They want to believe "it's all in how you raise them" BS.

National Stockdog Registry Aussies (working cattle dogs) are pretty persistent "heel nippers" so I can understand some concern, but mostly, these dogs, properly bred, will drown you with tongue-baths.
The same is true of APBT (the part following but mostly) however we see what bad breeding and careless owners combined has brought about. I do of course hope Aussie will not become a breed known for many bites or attacks. My point is only that popularity, bad breeders and bad owners = unstable and dangerous dogs. So there could possibly be a rise. As of late I've heard more so of Aussie attacking/fighting with other dogs rather then too many bites on humans.

Zr. I have never been interested in the PB or bull dog line, so that explains much of my ignorance of the breed, but that said I would not turn any dog away in need and I was in the position to help.

I watch some of the dog shows on TV, my wife loves them, and when it comes to the APBT, now this dog does not look anything like Michael Vicks dogs. Correct me but they do not seem to have over sized heads, and as broad a chest as the fighting dogs do, am I correct at that? For example Darkmoons dog does not look anything like the dogs in the best of breed APBT.
The pit bull many times shown on TV dog shows is usually American Staffordshire Terrier. Which are AKC dogs, APBTs were registered with AKC and the name changed. The AmStaff just as the APBT has some different looks, sometimes they look much alike but many times it is easy to tell by looks if they are APBT or AST. Vicks dogs had a range of looks from small to large dogs and builds. Over sized heads and broad chest, I believe you are thinking of American Bullies maybe? Which is not a fighting breed but bred of course for big head and chest. Darkmoons dog is from a shelter, though he is lovely looking, typically your not going to find a dog that meets up with "best of breed" in the shelter. Sure some fighting dogs might not have balance, but that would really not be the majority to be over sized in areas as they are not bred for that.

I realize this is just one fighting dog but oversized head and broad chest, I think not.

Of course you can't really tell if a dog is a fighting dog just by looking at its build either.

You can google American Bully to see if that is the same or if I'm way off.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I'm not talking about cases of random aggressive aussies I'm talking about cases of humans that get aussies specificaly to train them to be aggressive guard dogs.

Whats scary is that some people are starting to get aussies (over other breeds) SPECIFICALY to train them to be aggressive.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts