Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my parents house for the next month, and I brought along my well-trained mutt. She's clicker trained, and I keep a tin box with coins in it to shake when she's doing something she shouldn't, like barking (not very common), or chasing the cats (first time with them, but it's getting better).

My problem is, my sister lives with my folks. Her dog, a Golden Doodle, is a talker. He barks a lot. He'll go to the front door and bark, play with my dog and bark, etc. Loud.

How do I work on him to stop barking, without making MY dog feel like she's done something wrong? I only have to do a light jingle of the tin box for her to tuck her tail and walk away from the cat, or stop barking. If the Doodle barks, I can't just shake the box, because my mutt, a hearder, is always at his side.

Also, what about clicker-training? If my dog is in the same room, or same house, if I click, she'll salivate. I don't want to trick her while training the Doodle.

I'll get full buy-in from the family to keep training up, if only I can figure out what to do.

Thanks for the help!

- Casey

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'm really not fond of the box of coins method. It doesn't teach the dog what to do instead, and dogs aren't very good at guessing what we want. I especially don't like training methods that result in tucked tails. That's fear. Why not use the clicker to train new behaviors you do want? Check out kikopup on YouTube, she has lots of videos on behavior modification.

As to training the other dog, why not put your dog in another room while you train your mom's dog? Or, don't use the clicker on that dog. Use "yes" or a tongue click instead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You could always try training him to stop barking on demand with verbal commands. (Maybe with the other dog in a different room)

When he's barking, try holding a treat on the tip of his nose and say "stop barking" or something similar. Usually the dog will stop because of the treat, and when he does, you can give him a treat. Generally you should wait for him to stop barking for gradually longer periods of time before giving him the treat as you're training him.

I've never tried clicker training, but the verbal commands worked pretty well for my dog. : )

That's a really summarized version of the method, but plenty of more detailed information can be found online.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts