Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Static Electricty

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  russhw 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I tried to search the forums first before I put another post in but I couldn't find an answer that would work us.

My sheepadoodle's (sheepdog + poodle) coat is full of static, especially when short. Last night she was on her puppy bed next to me and every time she turned around I could actually hear the buildup happening. She got up and touched me to discharge the static, resulting in us both getting shocked.

These are the suggestions that I have seen online...
  • Dryer sheets: I read that the chemicals in dryer sheets are bad for dogs so I never use them with any of her stuff.
  • Static Guard: I couldn't use this anywhere in my house due to perfume allergies, I would cause myself an asthma attack at the least.
  • Water: This works well, but is very short lived. Side note in case someone wonders, the humidity our home is 45% currently. I will be pulling out the humidifier and bumping the humidity to 50% soon.

Does anyone know of a more natural/homemade remedy? I'd be willing to try something from the store if there's no fragrance (I'm allergic.) I've asked family too but our family English Mastiffs and Saint Bernards are not as prone to static as Kayla is.

See less See more
#8 ·
Bumping this...

It's always very bad in the Winter for me and I always end up getting shocked on everything... can't touch anything metallic it seems without getting shocked. I didn't expect my dog to have the same issue. Her hair is a mess, and yesterday she was crackling all over from the static in her fur (she pretty much has an American Eskimo coat). Brushing her is extremely difficult because the hair seems to cling to everything and yeah, we pretty much keep giving each other static shocks.

I don't have a humidifier but our room has an open floor plan so I'm not even sure I could find something that would work (plus I have asthma and dry is typically better for me). I ordered some coat spray on Amazon that is supposed to help but I'm not really getting my hopes up... Has anyone found anything that works?

#11 ·
I wring out a rag in water and wipe them down then brush. Been doing it a lot this month as it's been single digit humidity much of the time. Nasty! I wonder if oily coats are less apt to be staticy. We shock each other but it hasn't been horrible.
I notice that short-haired, shiny (high oil) coats on Labs don't seem to generate quite as much static ... but not 100% shock-proof!

#10 ·
I know it’s been a while since I originally posted this thread but Ive learned a little bit more.

1) I run the whole house humidifier during dry weather. Right now in my area it’s been between 30s-50s, next week should be in 18-20ish range. It’s easier on Kayla when the indoor humidity is at 45° but with the condensation buildup on the windows I’ve reduced it to 35°. Check out the following link for a picture if your concerned about perspiration on the windows: https://86cb8127dc14737f5057-7c0671.../v1/346000/346391/maximumrecordedhumidity.jpg

2) Water, dog conditioner, or specific hair detangling sprays can work wonders for your dog to prevent static, but don’t use deyer sheets!!
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B012BTF61U

3) Coconut oil is a very inexpensive and LONG LASTING alternative. I figured this one out by using it on my own hair since I have a ton of flyaways. I take about half a pea sized amount and warm it in my fingers. Most of it looks like it’s absorbed into my skin but I rub it across Kayla’s coat. She’s good to go at that point, if I see that she’s got any additional static I’ll do another half a pea sized amount again.

4) As far as the puppy’s bed. Well, I decided to cover it with old sheets so she’s not shocking herself at night. We upgraded from a queen sized bed to a king so she typically sleeps on the human bed at night now and extremely rarely uses her puppy bed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.