Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So my gorgeous (Apologize for the bias in advance) one-year old medium goldendoodle Leia is in desperate need. She is about 32 pounds and needs to be 25-28. I am at an absolute loss as to what to really feed her. After combing through this fantastic forum, I have decided to settle on Acana Wild P because she really isn't sensitive to foods (yet, crossing fingers it stays this way) and since I can't get light &fit here in Miami, this seemed like a next best option? Anyway, she LOVES it, like really goes crazy. She was on Hill's Ideal balance since she was 6 months old, but I took her off and switched her to acacia because her extra pudginess was driving me insane. She is my epilepsy service dog, but also my best friend and want her to be around forever.

She currently gets 1/4 and a bit of acacia twice a day, but I think she is left too hungry because now she is resorting to poop eating :redface: which she never has done. My vet says this can be a sign of them being hungry, yet again this is the same man who recommended royal canin sooooo...

dog forumers, what should I do? I get her to walk when the heat is unbearable for her, but food wise what would you guys recommend? feeding portion wise in particular? should i feed to 30b or to 26? and how much would that be? Is 1 cup a day enough?
Ah I am stressing out.

Thank you so much. much love- Leia's Mum xo

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
I don't think poop eating necessarily means a dog is hungry. Fact is, most dogs are ALWAYS hungry. Given the choice, lots of dogs will eat 'til they drop and more than a few will eat poop.

If she has no food sensitives that you're aware of, the quantity is more important than the brand. And the quantity is going to be determined by the results. You weigh her frequently. If she is gaining or maintaining, you cut back just a bit. If she is losing too fast, you increase just a bit. Small changes are best and don't expect instant results. Like people, dogs will fluctuate from day to day depending on all sorts of factors.

You can use things like drained and rinsed canned beans (or fresh) as a filler.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Feed to the weight she should be, and keep in mind that the feeding instructions on dog food are for intact, working dogs, so they are far too large for the average pet. I love Acana, I feed it to my little guy, too. He doesn't eat poop, but he is always hungry, ALWAYS. He would eat until his stomach burst and keep right on begging for more. Dogs can be like that.

As RonE said, keep weighing her at least weekly. If her weight goes up or doesn't go down at all, cut back on food. If it goes down too far, give more. A 30 lb dog will lose weight very slowly, so don't get discouraged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you so much RonE and Amaryllis! I figured it had nothing to do with her being hungry, and more of just a 'some dogs eat poop and some dogs don't'

I'll definitely do the weekly weigh in for her. Do you think starting her on 1 cup a day of Acana would be too much? I am at a lost of how much to feed her a day. I always feed her in the morning and at night so i would give her 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the night. But I've read on this forum that some people give their full grown 80lb dogs only 1 cup! so I just really want an ideal measurement to at least start out with, then I would know how to go up and down from there if that make sense hahaha.

It is so much easier being a human doctor than this :0

P.s- anyone know if weight gain is possible from this food if she goes days without any activity? for instance, last week it rained, more like brutally stormed all week to the point where all I could do was play ball in the confined space of our home with the furniture moved as to create a mini indoor dog park for her. But this doodle is more golden than anything, all she wants to do is RUN! so just want to make sure thats okay incase this up-coming hurricane season has any surprises in-store for us hahahaha

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
I'll definitely do the weekly weigh in for her. Do you think starting her on 1 cup a day of Acana would be too much? I am at a lost of how much to feed her a day. I always feed her in the morning and at night so i would give her 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the night.
The right amount will vary somewhat from dog to dog, but that seems like a lot to me. My 25 lb Pug gets 1/3 cup twice a day, plus a small dog treat after each walk (3 a day), and that maintains him at his ideal weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm yeah, I'm trying to keep her at 1/3 twice a day cup it's just so hard when she eats it up so quickly!
Weekly weigh in she's gained but I think that's because the food is initially so much better then her old food her body loved it
I'm sure she'll level out
If only I could get my hands on the scan diet formula in the states!!!!!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
You can look into some food/treat puzzles to feed her meals in, or bowls designed for fast eaters. They will slow her down, but unless she's really snarfing it all down in one breath it's more to make the owner feel better than the dog, in my opinion lol. But there is added mental stimulation in having to work for her meals, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts