Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year-old rottie mix has suddenly decided he's starving. The last three nights he has been pacing around investigating all food toys, whining, chin targeting, scratching on the door, and putting his head in his food bowl when I look at him. He doesn't want to go out or any of the other things I've thought of. The only idea I had is that we just switched him from Taste of the Wild Bison to Salmon. I looked at the macronutrient breakdown and the Salmon has significantly less protein and fat. Is it possible that this is why he suddenly thinks he's going to die of hunger? The Kcal content is almost identical. If that is the problem any suggestions on what to do with 2 bags of it? I don't want to over feed him. He's already slightly more padded than I like. I aspire to have a lean athletic dog and instead of a slightly overly padded.

He's currently getting 2.5 cups per day plus an XL kong with yogurt, pumpkin, and chicken. He has been on that amount for three months. I haven't weighed him in awhile so I'm not sure if he has gained or lost weight but if he has lost weight it's not a lot.

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
Could you split his meals? Go to 3 a day. Perhaps he is just getting hungry sooner because the Salmon has less protein, less "stick to the ribs" ingredients that make him feel full longer?

I think his body will probably adjust to the new food.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.