Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed Camaro up for obedience classes (finally!) The classes start in a couple weeks. :clap2: I'm excited, he knows basic stuff sit/lay/stay but his recall isn't that good and he is easily distracted on walks. He's also very excitable (in general) so I am hoping I can learn how to get him to calm down and focus on me.
I should have done this sooner, but it never worked out with the time and my work schedule. Thankfully there is a 7pm class, which works out much better for us.

Wish us luck!

·
Registered
11,378 Posts
Good luck, I bet you'll have a lot of fun.
My foster dog just finished up basic obedience and started intermediate obedience last night. One of the great parts of training in a class is the distraction-proofing, especially for a very excitable dog (like my foster). She progressed from going absolutely bonkers at the sight of people and dogs, to being put in a down-stay and laying calmly while another dog is walked in a circle around her or someone bounces a ball a few few from her. At the end of the intermediate class, one of the goals is being able to hold a 30 minute stay! The usefulness of that when taking a dog to other people's homes, out in public, to events etc would be great.
Obedience has made her so much easier to live with and so much more fun to take on walks etc (since loose leash walking and going calmly past other dogs and people are a part of the basic class)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck, I bet you'll have a lot of fun.
My foster dog just finished up basic obedience and started intermediate obedience last night. One of the great parts of training in a class is the distraction-proofing, especially for a very excitable dog (like my foster). She progressed from going absolutely bonkers at the sight of people and dogs, to being put in a down-stay and laying calmly while another dog is walked in a circle around her or someone bounces a ball a few few from her. At the end of the intermediate class, one of the goals is being able to hold a 30 minute stay! The usefulness of that when taking a dog to other people's homes, out in public, to events etc would be great.
Obedience has made her so much easier to live with and so much more fun to take on walks etc (since loose leash walking and going calmly past other dogs and people are a part of the basic class)

That is awesome that she's improved! Those are all of the things I want to work on with him. So hopefully we'll get some good results also.

I am just worried that I should have started sooner, he is almost 3. But he is super smart and I think he'll be able to get it.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Never too late to start classes. Jubel was a little over 2 when I got him and was about 3 when I took him to his first class (with me, may have had classes with original owner). I'd done a lot of training with him at home myself but no formal classes. I figured why spend the money if I can teach him myself. I only decided to take an obedience class because I wanted to do an agility class and basic obedience was a pre-req.

Most of the obedience class was just proofing a lot of behaviors with distractions for us but we did work on a few new things and started clicker training. I'm sure Camaro will do great and have fun.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of the obedience class was just proofing a lot of behaviors with distractions for us but we did work on a few new things and started clicker training. I'm sure Camaro will do great and have fun.
Distractions are our major issue. I would love to be able to walk him and have him NOT react to a person or another dog. Hopefully I will learn a few things too, he's my first dog (other than family dogs growing up) and I was really clueless about training. I thought what I did was enough, but he needs more. So hopefully I will come out of this better trained as well!

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
One thing that I've found that helped with my dog was to let him wrestle with another dog, either before or after class.... After class initially, to locate a dog with similar energy, then before class to tire them out, so they are less distracted.

·
Registered
11,378 Posts
One thing that I've found that helped with my dog was to let him wrestle with another dog, either before or after class.... After class initially, to locate a dog with similar energy, then before class to tire them out, so they are less distracted.
Oh yeah, finding something to burn some energy before the class is a great idea. Luna has been doing about 10 minutes of weight pulling before each class session. With approval, we just show up early, I harness her up and attach a tire (and chains if she's really excited) and she pulls the tire around the room eagerly. Awesome energy burner and since she's still kind of over-the-top for playing with other dogs, a great solution.

Ask the trainer for energy burning ideas that will suit your dog and your training facility set-up.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the helpful advice!

Classes start on Tuesday 3/6. I'm excited! I am going to have him in daycare that day to help get rid of some excess energy. He always seems to have an unlimited supply.

Now I just need to pick up a longer leash and some soft training treats. Any suggestions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts