Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new puppy yesterday.....my friend found him in the middle of the road and I offered to take him in. I have no idea how old he is, what breed(s) he is, etc. My friend was feeding him kibbles n bits soaked in goats milk. I don't have kibbles n bits because it's crap food, so I gave him Diamond Naturals puppy food soaked in goats milk last night.

I would really like to start him on raw but I know nothing about feeding raw to puppies. I have transitioned adult dogs to raw, but I assume puppies are different. Any advice you can offer on how to get him started would be excellent!

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
I got a new puppy yesterday.....my friend found him in the middle of the road and I offered to take him in. I have no idea how old he is, what breed(s) he is, etc. My friend was feeding him kibbles n bits soaked in goats milk. I don't have kibbles n bits because it's crap food, so I gave him Diamond Naturals puppy food soaked in goats milk last night.

I would really like to start him on raw but I know nothing about feeding raw to puppies. I have transitioned adult dogs to raw, but I assume puppies are different. Any advice you can offer on how to get him started would be excellent!
There's really nothing different between transitioning an puppy or adult to raw, other than size and teeth. Just start with boneless chicken, maybe rice and blended veggies if you would like (really unneccessary though). Add in soft bones, add in different kinds of meats, etc etc. Basically the same thing you'd do for an adult dog.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Use bone in chicken to transfer him with...his age will play a HUGE part in what cuts you give him, thus....IMO, take him to the vet, get him checked out and they will be able to estimate his age and maybe even his possible breeding.....HOWEVER most vets know NOTHING about nutrition(no matter what they try to blabber about) so dont listen to what they say about that!;)

If you cant get him tot the vet you can always post some pictures and see if anyone here can help you see if we can pin-point his age!:)

(I used www.preymodelraw.com to help me transfer my boys over, along with chatting with the authors!:))

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do plan to take him to the vet but couldn't get an appointment for today and Saturdays are pretty much the only day my work schedule will allow for that - so I'm shooting for next Saturday.

In the mean time, here are some pictures of him http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/tgrnicole/Puppy/
They aren't great pictures because I had to use my cell phone. His dark markings are nowhere near as dark as they look in those pictures, but you can at least see what he looks like. If I ever find my battery charger for my camera batteries, I'll get better pictures!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once you have begun to add in other foods, if the mother is still willing to nurse, please allow her to continue. Her milk is still the perfect food and is a wonderful addition to the weaning diet...
I don't have the mother - as stated in my OP, he was found in the middle of the road by a friend of mine. I do offer him goat milk at least once a day and he loves it!

So far he is doing excellent. I offer him a small meal at breakfast and 2-3 larger meals through the day depending on how hungry he is. He has had no diarrhea, no vomiting or upset stomach. He didn't balk even a tiny bit at the first chicken leg (it was a tiny leg). I put it down for him and he tore into it like he had been eating them forever LOL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've asked several people for opinions on his age and possible breeding and the general consensus seems to be 8-10 weeks old, and "too young to tell what he is." I finally found the charger for my camera batteries (it was staring me in the face :spy:), so the next pretty day that I'm home before dark, I'm going to take him outside and get some better photos of him.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't know why, but I am thinking that he may have some Anatolian Shepherd in him. Do a Google Image search on "Anatolian Shepherd Dog Puppy" and you will see.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Cute puppy!

This has a guide on how to start
http://preymodelraw.com/how-to-get-started/

This can be helpful to has links to various things
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/431875

This helps with figuring out how much to give.
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/491589

For a puppy I think people say to feed 10% of current weight or 2% of projected adult weight which would be hard since he is a mix pup..

Any special way to feed I don't think so a pup should transition to raw easier than a dog who has been fed kibble for ages.

Start with chicken and once his poop is normal add in small bits of chicken gizzards and heart..

Hope things go well for him.

My thought process wolf pups get what the adults get.. Your pup will have it even better since you can provide him with amount of things..

My next puppy will be switched at 8 weeks..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts