Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm new to the forum and in desperate need of advice!
My husband and I adopted a 9 week old standard poodle puppy about two weeks ago. His name is Walter and he apricot and of course adorable. But his looks are the only thing cute about him. We have a 7 year old female named Molly who is also a standard poodle and a saint of a dog. She came to live with us when we got married (she was a family dog of my in-laws) Walter terrorizes Molly. I will say most days she seems to like to play with him but he gets too rough and she's too sweet to do anything about it.
I have been reading a dog training book to help with training because I've never trained a puppy. He is mostly house trained but has accidents almost everyday and it only happens when him and Molly are playing. He will take a break from playing and pee. He doesn't let me know he has to pee, he just squats randomly.His biting is getting out of hand too. I try to redirect the bites to chew toys but he lunges at you and wants to bite. I have tried telling him no, i've tried a smack to the snout (which only eggs him on) i have tried not playing with him and now I don't know what to do.He also has what i think is separation anxiety that I don't feed into but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Please any advice will help! Am I being to harsh? Is he just being a puppy? Are puppies just jerks for a bit? I don't know help! Please help I want to enjoy this little guy and he's making it really hard.
Thank you!

·
Registered
721 Posts
For the peeing you are just going to have to try and intercept or prevent it as much as possible, how often do you take him out? The biting is normal and if by what you wrote you got him at 7 weeks I am not surprised as that often happens when they are taken really young. Even a pup that comes home at 8-9 weeks will still need to be taught not to bite, this takes several weeks to months and may seem as if it is not working at first. you need to have a time out area and/or stick to one method for a few. Some work for some dogs better then others.

If your older dog does not stop him you need to intervene and put an end to it by separating them-- gate/playpen/leash what ever works for you. Do not hit him ever that will not help, you will teach him to dislike touching and/or fear you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's 10 weeks now and he goes out about every hour. He lets me know he has to go just not when they are playing. I absolutely hate to smack his nose so I don't do it often but I will put an end to it. He mainly goes on puppy pads and I'm wondering if they are the culprit. Thank you so much for responding I have no idea what I'm doing and need all the help I can get. Any suggestions on how to deter him from biting?

·
Registered
721 Posts
yes if you want him to go only outside I would pick up the puppy pads as that can make it confusing where he is allowed to go.

I have use the time out and redirect for my two (I have 2 puppies that are 3 1/2 months apart) Seems that redirecting has worked well but I have also done the gate method where if he bites I leave the room. The gate prevented him from following. He learned real quick that if he bites me I leave took me 2 months for him to get it, my female never was much of a biter so it was shorter for her simply because of her personality. I do recommend crate training it has helped with older dog interactions and potty training too.

As you can see from my signature I have 3 dogs and 2 cats that are free in the house so I can understand how you would not want the puppy to torment the older dog. If you have anymore issues just post and I will try to help you if I can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had been thinking the pads would be confusing so I will pull them up. He's very smart and knows that we don't like him biting us but it seems any form of correction just eggs him on. Thank you so much for the advice! I think I just need to give him a little more time to catch on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts