Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Duke's Wisdom Panel 2.0 came in. I don't much care what he is, but the results are very surprising to me. This DNA test shows Duke as 50% Rottweiler, and then a mix of other things that I just don't see. I've always loved Rotts, but definitely wouldn't have guessed that of him.

What do you all think? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
These types of DNA tests are inaccurate. Patricia McConnell wrote an article about it:

First off, the test done by Mars is best described as a pattern recognition test. The computers (each dog’s analysis requires 7 million runs) look at 321 “markers” on the chromosomes in the sample, looking for patterns of base-pairs in the strands of DNA. The computer program is looking for patterns consistent with both different ancestral breed types (“Guard breeds” like mastiffs, Am Staffs, etc, “Ancient breeds” like Chows and Siberian Huskys or “European breeds” like hounds and retrievers), and individual breeds, each of which has its own distinctive pattern of arrangement of base-pairs. (Here’s a good Genetics 101 refresher for anyone who would like the review.) Some breeds have more definitive patterns than others, especially those that have been closely bred as purebreds for a long time. Dr. Hughes reported that breeds like Catahoulas, Jack Rusell Terriers and Rat Terriers, who were bred more for function and less for form for so long, are more varied genetically and thus a bit harder to pin down. (It also explains why some of these breeds show up as false positives, when the computer searches can’t find a match and in some electronic version of desperation, settles on a Catahoula.

Speaking of Rare Breeds: That was my primary question to both scientists at Mars. What do those low percentage breeds really mean? That somewhere way back in time Leo really did have a purebred Tervuren ancestor, or not? The answer is maybe. It could be that Leo simply has some patterns of base-pairs on his chromosomes that just happen to be very much like a similar sequence in Tervs or more likely, a related breed in a similar group. It could be that indeed, somewhere back in time a purebred Terv bred with someone’s purebred Whatchamacallit. Mars has done extensive testing of their computer models and found that their “Mixed-Breed” analysis is about 90% accurate. Given the complexity of genetics, that is impressive. It also means that 10% of the time, it is flat wrong. Thus, an analysis could come up with several very likely breeds and one outlier. Rather than dismissing the results as a whole, the surprising outlier simply deserves more attention, or to be taken with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for sharing that. I really did it mostly for fun, but I've read a lot of reviews who basically said, "It really surprised me, but yeah, now I can see it."

I'm really curious if he really is 50% (or any percent!) Rottweiler. That's interesting to me!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Hard to say since he's still young, but I could believe rott.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yeah, I was a bit surprised when I did one of those for my dog. It came back with 12%-25% Old English Sheepdog, Shetland Sheepdog and Chow Chow, with the rest being undetermined. It seemed ridiculous at the time, and they wound up refunding my money, but I can understand why the sheepdog genes might show up since I think she has some type of herder in her. I think it's kind of a joke, but I still would like to try it again someday.

Your results were a bit small for me to read though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I was a bit surprised when I did one of those for my dog. It came back with 12%-25% Old English Sheepdog, Shetland Sheepdog and Chow Chow, with the rest being undetermined. It seemed ridiculous at the time, and they wound up refunding my money, but I can understand why the sheepdog genes might show up since I think she has some type of herder in her. I think it's kind of a joke, but I still would like to try it again someday.
Hmm, I didn't know they'd do a refund. I'm not extremely concerned. I really believe(d) he's a Mountain Cur or a Black Mouth Cur, which they don't test for anyway. So, I'm guessing they just found similar breeds? Then again, I know nothing about doggie DNA, so I may be way off!

Your results were a bit small for me to read though.
Sorry about that. It says 50% Rottweiler (that one parent was a Rott, and ALL of it's ancestors were Rotts). The other parent it says is a Cardigan Welsh Corgi/Standard Poodle Cross and an Australian Shepherd and "Other" Mix. I guess that would 13% for each of the last four. Hmm... I really don't see Poodle, but again, who knows which traits are recessive, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmm well on this note, does anyone know if there is a reasonably accurate DNA test that could be done on a dog. I really want to know what breeds are in my Kiwi because I know it is quite the mix but I don't want to come back with something like that. The whole standard poodle thing seems a little far fetched form looking at the photo you have :p Haha they are fun though.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Soooooo cute! I wouldn't dismiss Rottweiler at all. But he looks a LOT like Bella when she was a pup. Can't wait to see him a little older - will be interesting to see if any of the DNA traits they claim he has start to show themselves :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hmm, I didn't know they'd do a refund. I'm not extremely concerned. I really believe(d) he's a Mountain Cur or a Black Mouth Cur, which they don't test for anyway. So, I'm guessing they just found similar breeds? Then again, I know nothing about doggie DNA, so I may be way off!
I didn't push for a refund, but when I emailed them saying the results seemed off, they asked for a photo and said they'd explain why the results made sense, or would send a re-test. But, after I sent in the photo, they just said they'd give me my money back and didn't want to re-test. I expected her to come back as a Terrier/herder mix, with some other stuff in there as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't push for a refund, but when I emailed them saying the results seemed off, they asked for a photo and said they'd explain why the results made sense, or would send a re-test. But, after I sent in the photo, they just said they'd give me my money back and didn't want to re-test. I expected her to come back as a Terrier/herder mix, with some other stuff in there as well.
Hmmm... thanks! I would love them to explain the results, though I am not too worried about the refund.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I can see Rott,and I noticed a lot of Rottweiler mixes come in those colors. It's hard to tell exactly with pups though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts