Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 18 month old female standard Aussie (named Maka) that is exhibiting strange behavior when my father visits. Normally she is well behaved and obeys training commands. She gets plenty of exercise with disc tosses, ball retrieval and other challenges we are teaching her to do. We have a five year old daughter and Maka even obeys her commands (almost all of the time).

But when my father comes over to visit as soon as Maka sees him she goes berserk. She whines and cries and yips when not allowed to rush and nuzzle him. She jumps and generally acts completely untrained. My father is on medications that make him bleed easily so sometimes we have had to crate the dog to prevent scratching injuries. When the dog knows he is around she howls and cries whenever she is kept away from him. She has also had incidents where she has growled at my wife when my wife has tried to seperate the dog from my father.

My father has a beagle himself that he spoils rotten...but I do *not* allow him to spoil our dog that same way.

I am not sure what to make of this since the dog otherwise behaves well. Has anyone seen something similar and know how to correct it?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Does Maka only react this way to just your father? Or does she react overexcited in general when guests visit? What have you done so far to try to train her out of this? I am interested to know what have you tried on her so far.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
What breed is she? There is no breed called the Standard Aussie. If she is an Australian Shepherd, I have known this behavior in this breed. My own Aussie, Kechara, will do this with friends and family who she hasn't seen for a while.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think he means "Standard Aussie" as in standard sized Australian Shepherds? Since now there are minis, toys, and teacup Aussie.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I think he means "Standard Aussie" as in standard sized Australian Shepherds? Since now there are minis, toys, and teacup Aussie.
There are no "Standard Australian Shepherds" The Toy and Mini breeds are not Australian Shepherds they are different breeds.

Read the breed standard on Australian shepherds to see that there is no height requirements in the breed and therefore it cannot be divided into size categories.

·
Registered
339 Posts
There are no "Standard Australian Shepherds" The Toy and Mini breeds are not Australian Shepherds they are different breeds.

Read the breed standard on Australian shepherds to see that there is no height requirements in the breed and therefore it cannot be divided into size categories.
I'm sorry, my intention was not to offend you. I know there does not exist a "Standard Australian Shepherd" size. I was referring to how it's easier for people to just say "Standard" to describe it as the Australian Shepherd breed and not minis or toys. Some people consider the minis and toys as still Australian Shepherd because the were derived from the same bloodlines. I was not making the assertion that the breed, Australian Shepherd, is divided into size categories.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I'm sorry, my intention was not to offend you. I know there does not exist a "Standard Australian Shepherd" size. I was referring to how it's easier for people to just say "Standard" to describe it as the Australian Shepherd breed and not minis or toys. Some people consider the minis and toys as still Australian Shepherd because the were derived from the same bloodlines. I was not making the assertion that the breed, Australian Shepherd, is divided into size categories.
No they were not derived from the same bloodlines.

There is no need to call an Aussie a "Standard Aussie" to clarify anything, and in fact just makes things harder to understand (is it an Aussie or is it some other breed called a Standard Aussie?). Calling it an Aussie or an Australian Shepherd is the only thing one needs to say.

When someone says "Standard Aussie" I think it may very well be a different breed from the Australian Shepherd.

·
Registered
339 Posts
No they were not derived from the same bloodlines.

There is no need to call an Aussie a "Standard Aussie" to clarify anything, and in fact just makes things harder to understand (is it an Aussie or is it some other breed called a Standard Aussie?). Calling it an Aussie or an Australian Shepherd is the only thing one needs to say.

When someone says "Standard Aussie" I think it may very well be a different breed from the Australian Shepherd.
I would like to apologize again, my sources of information must be wrong. I was under the impression that they were from the same bloodline. I did not mean to cause confusion to anyone. I've seen "standard" used too many times to refer to the Australian Shepherd, and people continue to use that terminology. I am so sorry if I caused you any anger.

Edit Added: I'm curious to know what dog breeds were used to create the Mini Aussies. If they weren't derived from the Australian Shepherd, where did they come from? (Not meant to be offensive, just curious)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Edit Added: I'm curious to know what dog breeds were used to create the Mini Aussies. If they weren't derived from the Australian Shepherd, where did they come from? (Not meant to be offensive, just curious)
No one knows for sure what the original mixes were since the owner of the original "Mini Aussies" claimed they were purebred (the same way most bad breeders today claim their "Teddy Bear" puppies are purebred). It's very likely that they were sheltie or Pomeranian mixes.

Here are some photos of the original "Minis" These were owned by the founder of the "Mini Aussie" breed. She bred these dogs together and then bred their offspring to Australian Shepherds to make them start looking more like Aussies.

These dogs existed in the 70's and are the foundation for every Mini and Toy you will find today.

It is pretty easy to see that these dogs are not Australian Shepherds.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
There are Aussies, and then there are the others (minis/toys) Not the same breed. BTW, the mini and toy Aussie-like dogs are almost as old as Aussies

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
i dont like when they scale down any8 working or herding breed for no good reason (they also make a 'mini heeler') because if its going to herd cattle i want a robust, medium to large sized dog, not a mini or toy :/

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
i dont like when they scale down any8 working or herding breed for no good reason (they also make a 'mini heeler') because if its going to herd cattle i want a robust, medium to large sized dog, not a mini or toy :/
I have similar issues with 'toy' (tot) rat terriers. They already come in 2 sizes, one of them being a *small freaking dog*. Don't get me wrong, rats are great dogs, but um. They're meant to be vermin killing, squirrel treeing, farm dogs. I doubt, somehow, a 3 lb dog is going to be the most effective rat killing machine.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
My father has a beagle himself that he spoils rotten...but I do *not* allow him to spoil our dog that same way.
Judging by your dog's reaction, I'd be inclined to believe that there is, in fact, some spoiling going on behind the scenes.

Setting firmer ground rules for your father might be a good place to start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts