Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to work on this on and off for a while. I can get Caeda to sit or down at a distance (though is still prone to come up to me occasionally before she does). Stand is going nowhere. Every time she stands she starts walking and comes to me, no pause between the down/sit and walk. I've tried increasing the distance but as soon as we're beyond arms length no success at all.

Suggestions? I'm not terribly insistent on having her be able to do this, but I figured I would tie it in with the sit/down at a distance training. Do I have to to tether her so she can't come to me?

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Ooh I need suggestions too... A lot of times mine just sits and no matter what I do I can't make her stand, so we haven't really gotten anywhere...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Where are you rewarding? Does she have an emergency stop or stay command down?

Mine learn best by tossing the reward. I teach a solid stay command first, then work on stand, if needed reinforcing with stay. Reward where the dog is, not at you. Also sending them back can be helpful, or using a target, as something to stand on.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Roxie's emergency stop is "sit" or "wait" and she would probably sit if I had her wait lol! But she has stay pretty well. Stand-stay is what we were working on actually.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That's one instance I really like the clicker, it gives the exact time they're right. I taught it with Mandy close and got the clicker out. Then I just started taking it everywhere. In the park, on the walk, in the living room ... everywhere. When that worked I started moving further and further away until I can use the word anywhere at any distance and she'll stand.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
This is what I have always done ... right or wrong ... and it worked for me.....

I have always used the "stay" command. And if the dog begins to sit ... I gently place my hand on their belly and lift them into a standing position and say "ups" and then "stay" ... sort of like "stacking" ...... you may only get a few feet before they try to sit or lay again ... just keep rinsing and repeating ... they eventually get it!

I would always gently push them back by placing my hand on their chest ... and say "stay" until they got it. Turn and begin to walk away. Once again ... you may only get a few feet ..... practice a million times over! Lol!

You can use any command you like for standing. I just like my "ups" :)

Don't forget to reward when they stay standing! :D

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You could use a target that's large enough to stand on, as juliemule suggested. This will help to present a visual / physical barrier of sorts.

You can also improvise with other items ... a broom handle or similar laid cross-wise on the ground directly in front of your dog, the outer edge of a backyard deck or a landing near a door, a plateau or perch of some kind, or some other form of natural demarcation point. Set the dog up in the right vicinity accordingly before you begin. Using some form of implement such as these will make communicating your expectations clearer and easier.

IMO I would not advocate tethering the dog, as this removes 'choice' which in turn impedes the learning process, especially in the long run.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions all. I'm definitely going to try yours Abbylynn, it is something that I think might work for Caeda.
My distance sit/down training is working towards an emergency sit, perhaps I should get that solid before I try the stand. Part of the problem might be that my hand signal for stand, which came from luring, kind of draws my hand towards me, she might think that means come...I don't know.
I might try "drilling" her on stand in place in front of me for a while. Maybe she doesn't understand the concept as much as I had thought she did. Lots of possibilities.
You make a good point about the tethering petpeeve. My only thought was that at least for a few times she might learn that standing from a distance gets her a treat, even if she didn't have the choice about the distance....its not something I want to do though, I'll be trying other methods first.
Oddly enough she'll do a stand-stay at a distance when we're walking on the flexi, she'll get ahead of me, and I tell her to stay so I can pick my way across some of the nasty swampy spots, and oddly enough she does. If I say stand, she comes for me :p Ugh.
Oh well...I'll keep plugging away at it, I'm sure she'll get it eventually :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
You could try a touch/target stick. I recently got one with a clicker built in and I love it.

With or without the target stick, I would practice by having her sit/down/stand in front of you, on your right side, on your left side. When she can stand from each of those positions without walking, try adding very small distances again.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
This is something Wally I need to work on as well. I've been trying to use "stand" -> "stay" -> immediate mark/reward and I bring the reward to him so he doesn't move to get it. Sort of "stand predicts stay" so when he stands, he expects the stay cue and stays put. He understands mat work, but I think he'll be apt to lay down on it since that's all we've worked it with - might confuse him too much.

He understands not to break the stay even with the click (I try to click the instant he braces to slow down his momentum to a stop so that's the behavior he's ending - which follows physically since once he stops, he doesn't need to do it anymore).

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought I answered this one, but my computer musta et it. Make sure she really understands "stand" with you close. If coming forward is a problem you can put a baby gate between you. If you get this kind http://www.jjdog.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=jj&Category_Code=2CATPractigatesPVCRingGatesPRAPRG they have the additional plus of being able to be folded almost completely flat, so you can fade the height until she doesn't need it.
AH hah! Thank you Pawz!
First of, I'm not positive (any more) that she understands stand when I'm close....at least not thoroughly, so that's the first thing to work on. Using the baby gate is a GREAT idea, sort of the same principle as using a tether (stopping her from coming to me) but without the potential for causing unwanted pulling....its been a long hard road teaching her when pulling is ok (in her pulling harness), and when it isn't (in-car harness, or collar), I would hate to add in treating her for anything that includes inappropriate pulling, especially something that isn't a particularly crucial skill....just in case! Being able to fade the gate is awesome too, not really doable with the tether. Even a very short barrier might do. We'll see once I get to that point, going back to working on stand :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts