Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Which behavior should I change the cue for?

• Stay would be easier to change

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Stand would be easier to change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither - just work on him understanding

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Both - develop new cues for each and re-teach him

Votes: 1 25.0%
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I've recently been using Here! as my verbal command, but he still isn't great, even in a room without distractions.
What I did with Wally was:

I'd get him to follow me. Then stop. When he walked up to me. Click and treat. I kept doing that so that "coming to my feet = reward"

I did that for a while. (might explain why he shadows me after I gave him food...:eek:)

Then, say a day later, I call him all random. If he came to me. Click and treat. If he didn't, I go get him and bring him, dragging if need be, to where I was. No reward.

Once he saw that a) he's coming to me whether he wants to or not, and b) if he came on his own, he got a reward - he started doing be more and more until the way he is now - he comes eagerly running (well walking fast if inside) when I call him.

Now, granted, for Wally - it might have been more of a "make me!" type issue (especially given he was just over a year old, so maybe that "rebel" stage) than a true lack of understanding, so I'm sure others will have other ideas, but he learned something considering how his recall has improved and continues to do so.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks KBLover. Capturing behaviors usually work best for me; too bad I can't remember that LOL.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts