Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We've had Mayzie for 3 weeks. She's a mixed breed and we're not sure what her mix is.

So far, she's been very submissive with bigger dogs and friendly toward smaller ones.

Today, we took the dogs for a walk in an off-leash area. Ranger (our other dog) was off-leash but she wasn't. We had her on a long check-cord. She encountered some other dogs and everything was fine. Then an Aussie came up. Ranger and the Aussie greeted each other and Mayzie dropped into a stalk. She went up and sniffed the dog and when the dog started to move away, she looked like she wanted to chase it. To me, it looked like it was playful but I'm not sure. Then right after that, another dog came up and the same thing happened. Crouch, stalk, desire to chase. It looked very much like a border collie herding sheep.

When we took Ranger to meet her, she did the same thing to him. Her fostermom corrected her and she quit doing it and everything was fine. Later during our visit, she tried to get him to play with her in the conventional dog-bow way. And during the last week, they've been playing a lot without any signs of aggressive tendencies.

Do any of you have dogs that do this? Is this something that I should be concerned about? Should I re-direct the behavior? I'm kind of at a loss here.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I don't want to worry you because it may be something different but my dog does those exact same behaviors right before she attempts an all out attack on other dogs, if I weren't there to control it.

so id say keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
A lot of dogs do that in play as well. If she is being nice to them its probably play. At work a ton of dogs do it now (they are learning from each other). One will be at one end of the yard, and another at the other end. Then they will crouch low, lock eyes and stalk each other for several steps before one of them breaks, does a play bow and runs and the other chases and playing ensues. Not just the herding breeds do this . . . labs, goldens, a dobe, a cane corso (mastiff) . . . one of the chihuahuas does it, the bichon does it and several others. If one of the dogs is not comfortable it simply turns around and doesn't look at the dog trying to initiate the stalking game. The one wanting to do it then will usually do "normal" playing like play bows and wrestling.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you for your replies. My "feeling" was that it wasn't aggressive. Especially since she had done the same thing to Ranger when she first met him and she's CRAZY about him. However, I don't want to be an oblivious dog owner who thinks HER dog could never be DA. So I'll definitely keep an eye on it and watch for any signs that it's not just play.

I'm on a "shy dog" yahoo group and heard from someone who has extensive experience with herding breeds. She said that it's probably nothing - that it could have even been her way of showing the other dog that she wasn't a threat - but that if she's fearful/shy, we should be careful of putting her in highly arousing situations that might be too much for her right now.

If anyone else has any input, I'd love to hear it! TIA!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Ilya does this a lot and he generally doesn't like to meet new dogs because he gets nervous. I thought it was play at first, but if I listen carefully, I can hear a low growl as he remains very still. Sometimes he whines if the other dog is called away by their owner as if he wanted to meet them. I generally make him sit if another dog is approaching to quick for me to walk away and earlier this week, another shepperd type dog ran up to him off leash. I was horrified because my younger son was walking him at the time. Luckily, Ilya sat down though, my son said he wasn't very happy with the other dog sniffing him. The owner came running a minute later.

Oddly, Ilya doesn't do this with other huskies. He reacts differently:confused: much more excited and friendly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts