Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions. (Ty is 9 weeks, 2 days old)

One: When can Ty safely go up and down stairs? He will and would go up now, but I read that its not good for them to go at a young age when they're still growing. Also if its not aloud, I have 2 steps to get into my house that he goes up and down that are (guessing) between 5 and 7 inches high, would that be alright? There is also a curb size "step" he goes up/down to go potty thats about 5 inches high that he FLIES off of! He's gonna be an amazing jumper when he's older! Any thoughts?

Two: When Ty gets very playful he growls when playing say tug-o-war. He gets really into it, throwing his head back and forward, rolling onto his back est. Is the growling just puppy play? Or could this be a sign that he may "become" toy aggressive?

Three, because I just remembered: Whats some tips on stopping his nipping? Its just playful puppy nipping, but when he's very playful he starts to bite down harder and I would like to get the nipping under control now while he's still so young.

And I should really stop saying I only have a curtain amount of questions LOL. One last thing. Ty will give kisses to everyone, including strangers, but not me. He seems happy to see me, and will play with me and follow me around even out side, but he wont give me kisses :( . Is there a reason to this or is he really mad at me for giving him his medication? I'm the only one that gives it to him.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
One: I don't know when it's safe, but I'd really limit running up and down the stairs until he can easily do it (maybe 16 weeks?). Or else make him go slow. I would be more concerned about him bounding down the steps than running up them. I would just make sure he goes very slow and doesn't jar his joints.

Two: I don't think the growling is a problem at all. If he never guards his toys, then I wouldn't worry about this at all. He's just having fun.

Three: The Bite Stops Here.

Four: The kisses are probably just information gathering. He already knows what you smell and taste like. :) You can teach him to kiss you. I know people say it's unheathly, but I do it. :D

·
Registered
750 Posts
One: I don't know when it's safe, but I'd really limit running up and down the stairs until he can easily do it (maybe 16 weeks?). Or else make him go slow. I would be more concerned about him bounding down the steps than running up them. I would just make sure he goes very slow and doesn't jar his joints.

Two: I don't think the growling is a problem at all. If he never guards his toys, then I wouldn't worry about this at all. He's just having fun.

Three: The Bite Stops Here.

Four: The kisses are probably just information gathering. He already knows what you smell and taste like. :) You can teach him to kiss you. I know people say it's unheathly, but I do it. :D
A human mouth has alot more germs than a canines mouth :D (Discovery channel fact YEAAAARS ago)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
A human mouth has alot more germs than a canines mouth
Then you shouldn't have any problem licking your dog's bottom. :p

It's not a matter of whose mouth is "cleaner" or has more germs, but the particular diseases that can be passed from animals to humans. Zoonotic Diseases.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I would still limit his trips up and down the stairs until he's about 16-20 weeks old.

I found this link about Berner puppies. Not sure what breed your puppy is.

As for stairs, many breeders will insist that the pup not be allowed to manage stairs until those bones are fully developed. Some have reported dogs' reluctance to do stairs who were not allowed to do them as pups. But don't risk injury to you and the dog by carrying a 30 pound puppy up and down the stairs! Do yourself a favor, and teach the puppy to negotiate stairs by climbing them at his own pace and descending them slowly and sedately.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quite a few books suggest that when playing tug-o-war that you should win the games (or win more than you loose).

I know part of it is to establish who is the pack leader.

I guess it's also to teach your dog to lose nicely so he won't learn to get aggressive if he is playing with anyone else/another dog and he can give it up easier?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts