Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL, I know I mentioned it before, but I'm a stacking failure. We're working with Lacey but since I'm not too familiar with exactly how to stack I'd like some pointers. We're just looking for "nice" photos of her...ones that aren't including her nose or ears only (you know the mmmm camera smells good let me stick my nose right on it thing hehe)

So, any points or tips on how to do this? My previous attempt (see photo) is weak to say the least, and seems all I managed to do was irk Lacey. Try to keep in mind she won't be 1 until next month also, so she's kind of gangly right now to boot.

Constructive criticism appreciated!

Solid ground, ugly background (my house siding, ick)

Uneven ground, yes Lacey, it does make your butt look big :p (my guess, horrible angle on both pictures)

I think her stance is too wide (between her legs) looks weird...

We also had a lot of distraction going on (weekend, busy with kids riding bikes screaming/yelling etc.)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
her rear feet when viewed from behind should only be as wide set apart as her rear end is wide. One of her hocks should be perpendicular with the ground and the other should be brought up under her. her front paws should be spaced equal to the width of her chest.
her tail shouldn't tuck.

I'm not to knowledgable about GSD stacks but I've seen it done enough

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the first photo (which was the last taken actually) is where she finally warmed up to hubby, she always tucks her tail around him...but I don't have anyone else capable of using a camera in the house...certainly not my 5 yr old. Hubby was holding her and trying to help set her feet up, but she kept splaying the back legs as it seemed she was unbalanced at chest width apart? Does that happen alot?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
There's a nifty little gadget called happy legs that's helpful in teaching pups to stack. Not sure where to find them, maybe google it.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aren't those like the pup in Xeph's thread is on? If so, I might go do some looking, I didn't even think of that...duhhhh. :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Happy legs <--There's a link to thier website

They certaintly aren't cheap, $200 for the whole thing any size and $42 for an additional set of stilts. I would posibly consider buying a set in the future if I was seriously showing more than one dog. However in the mean time bricks or cement blocks work just as well; They're just not as easy to move around and not as precise if you're using a stone with a large surface area.

The stack you have so far is quite nice. I really like her front. You just have to get her to squat down and flex those knees. Hopefully Xeph will come along and tell us all how the GSD stack is taught.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
The front legs need to be brought up "under" the dog so they don't "post" like in Lacey's second picture. A dog that posts tends to look sway backed because it's arching to try and support it self.

The front should be stacked wide enough that you could basically fit your hand between the front paws...this does not ring true for every dog as it depends on chest. For example, I wouldn't do this to a puppy whose chest hasn't dropped. They'll either elbow in or "hunker" to try and balance.

With the rear, the inside foot (always the right foot) should be placed forward under the belly in line with the front paw. WHERE you place the foot is entirely dependent on the dog's angles and what the judge you're showing to likes. With males I tell new people to "use the penis as a guide!" seriously....If you align the rear foot with the toes right under the dog's penis, you're pretty close to right.

The left rear foot should be extend straight backwards, not out, and set so the hock is perpendicular to the ground. Lacey has basically no angulation in the rear, so you shouldn't stretch too far...it'll over do it.

In the end, you should end up with something like this:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Xeph! We have a lot to work on, she's none too cooperative about moving her feet around and looks at me like "why? That's awkward for me ya know" hehe.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
When you stack her front, grab her at the ELBOW not the Pastern. You won't get a good set otherwise

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
When taking the photo, get DOWN so the lens of the camera is at dog body level. Higher will shorten her legs and lower will lengthen them. Higher will also make her back/body look broader.

Have the camera at the middle of the dog so the "film (digital capture) plane" is parallel to the dog's body or spine. If you feel your dog is "light" in the hindquarters, have the camera opposite the dogs hip. If the dog is light in the front end, have the camera even with the dog's shoulder. Otherwise the camera should be at the middle of the dog.

Xeph has the stacking advice down cold.. I like the front legs perpendicular to the ground and the close back leg further back and the far back leg back further too.. but I want to say listen to Xeph and NOT to me.

BTW Xeph.. the young fellow holding your dog is? Nice looking boy and he looks proud to be next to that dog!

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
BTW Xeph.. the young fellow holding your dog is? Nice looking boy and he looks proud to be next to that dog!
That's my brother, Austin. Trying to suck him into showing, but I don't think I could get him in a suit :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts