Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard this a number of times now. Am I inadvertently training her to be a cold blooded killer? Will she turn into a 30 lb mini Cujo? :)

My terrier loves her squeaky toys and has broken the cheap ones (4 for $3) in under 30 minutes. She also loves to chase the cats silly enough to enter my yard and has actually cornered 1 before. She went in and mouthed the poor cat repeatedly (no blood, no clumps of fur, no awkward limp). I've even witnessed the horrors of her bulling and killing poor little flies and stalking crickets. In short, she'll go after just about any non-dog, non-human creature smaller than her. Is this blood lust all due to the squeaky toy?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
You will not turn her into a cold blooded killer - but the reason squeaky toys are so popular with terriers in particular is it sounds like a small animal (rodent, mostly) being hurt or killed. So, you might train her to be a good ratter?

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Honestly, I don't even think what CptJack said is true--I have pet rats and squeaky toys sound nothing like rat squeaks, which don't and never have gotten my dog's attention the way a squeaky toy will. Although rats don't squeak that often anyway, but when mine do she ignores it, even though they're the first rats she's met--she's never bothered them. She has a high prey drive too, she chases cats and squirrels... But never rats. So I don't think that dogs hear the squeak of a toy and the squeak of a rodent the same way.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Honestly, I don't even think what CptJack said is true--I have pet rats and squeaky toys sound nothing like rat squeaks, which don't and never have gotten my dog's attention the way a squeaky toy will. Although rats don't squeak that often anyway, but when mine do she ignores it, even though they're the first rats she's met--she's never bothered them. She has a high prey drive too, she chases cats and squirrels... But never rats. So I don't think that dogs hear the squeak of a toy and the squeak of a rodent the same way.
Ah, yes, but have you ever heard what a rat sounds like when it's in the jaws of a dog? >.<

I don't think it's going to make a dog necessarily chase rats, no. But it is a toy meant to exercise and excite preydrive. Not a big deal, honestly. Dogs are dogs. There's nothing wrong with a preydrive. IT's sure as heck not aggression.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Yeah definitely, I don't even worry about my dog's insane cat drive since she gets used to cats that she sees a lot VERY quickly.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Yeah definitely, I don't even worry about my dog's insane cat drive since she gets used to cats that she sees a lot VERY quickly.
I've got a pair of rats, 3 cats and a rat terrier. He's fiiine with the cats, and he's not allowed any contact with the rats, but he's not going crazy trying to rip the rats off my shoulder or dig through doors or anything (now).

But our yard extends a bit into the woods behind my house, and it took him about ten minutes out there to start digging up moles and catching mice. Sweet as pie, no worries about human, dog, or even cat aggression from him.

Rodents? For.Get.It. He is the product of his breed function, and that amounts to a rodent killin' dog ;-)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My doxy mix has a high prey drive. Teaching her to be nice to cats took a lot of one-on-one training.

But, squeaky toys, oh yes, sound just like a baby bunny being attacked. (unfortunately I know the sound too well). Squeaky toys helped her relax, more than fed her drive, (imo). She is pretty darn content walking around with a squeaky toy in her mouth. With or without the toys, her drive would be the same. It's the training that matters most. (again, just my opinion)

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
On the flipside, my mom has dachshunds that are obsessed with squeaky toys but love to just lick and sleep with cats!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hamish has always loved his squeaky toys (never damaged any of them) but it was the cat next door (who he adored!) that taught him to catch birds, and he succeeded a few times too!! He'll chase squirrels, pheasants, etc. if they catch his eye, but never cats. Oh, and he cornered a mouse that was silly enough to venture onto the deck once, but with our help it managed to escape.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Leeo was a ratting fool! lol! He made many a rodent squeak before it hit the ground ... he also had many squeak toys but was partial to his pink bar bell squeak toy. He slept with it. Never tried to kill it. But he did not like anything on four legs except for cats. Forget anything with wings ... very high prey drive.

Still I do not think his squeak toys made him a killer ... just the Schnauzer in him. Unless I inadvertently taught him to be a killer ... When he was a little pup he had a stuffie named Benny and I used to tell him to "Kill Benny!" .... and he shook it to death! :)

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I feel a little bit like I should clarify. I have seen squeaky toys (loud ones) used to increase drive in dogs - but it's not just playing with them. It's also used to increase drive in the dog, not to *create* it. Playing with a squeaky toy isn't going to make anyone's dog suddenly go pouncing on mice. It MIGHT make them more inclined to play with prey if they hear it squeak once they've grabbed it. Not quite the same.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
A terrier is already a killer. If a 6 mos terrier sees a mouse or bunny running in the yard, then nature will kick in. You might use a squeaky toy to actively increase the drive, but it's already there.

I've socialized by Lab mix with dogs and cats, so I trust him around small dogs and cats... But rats, squirrels, and rabbits are another thing. He won't bother a rabbit in the house or in someone's arms, but I don't trust him if the rabbit runs, b/c prey instinct kicks in outside with rabbit and squirrels... which he has never successful caught. However, he has caught rats... and they don't squeak, once he catches them... (He has little interest in squeak toys.)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Aidan loves his squeaky toys. He has killed a field mouse. It was under my desk. I'm glad he didn't eat or damage it, beyond killing it. He's never seen baby rabbits or moles/voles outside when he's with me, but I have. He just doesn't pay enough attention. He digs deep holes though, and I figure he's going after something.

The cat next door has honed his prey drive for cats. She sits on the stone wall of our porch and oversees Aidan when he is in his pen (a 15 x 20 fenced area). That drives him nuts. In the winter at night, she comes onto the porch and hangs out on the windowsills. She isn't the least bit afraid of Aidan, even though he lunges at the windows, barking his fool head off. She has a comfortable, warm, barn to sleep in, btw, so she isn't coming here except for her own amusement.

I figure that since Aidan is a terrier, he has a strong prey drive. So I protect cats from him by keeping him confined to leash, fenced area or house, and I don't point out the tiny wild animals I see when we are out walking.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I've got a pair of rats, 3 cats and a rat terrier. He's fiiine with the cats, and he's not allowed any contact with the rats, but he's not going crazy trying to rip the rats off my shoulder or dig through doors or anything (now).

But our yard extends a bit into the woods behind my house, and it took him about ten minutes out there to start digging up moles and catching mice. Sweet as pie, no worries about human, dog, or even cat aggression from him.

Rodents? For.Get.It. He is the product of his breed function, and that amounts to a rodent killin' dog ;-)
As you can see from my sig, I don't have a terrier, but I do have me a critter killin' machine. Kabota has so far killed 4 mice/voles (probably voles, but most people don't know what voles are, so I just say mice) and a robin. Kabota is the sweetest dog ever, so gentle and nice, great with kids, loves other dogs, but any other creature is at serious risk from him.

Also, Kabota doesn't like squeakies. I have to pull the squeaky out of his stuffies and resew it up, because if he bites on the squeaky and it makes a noise, he gets upset and runs away.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have all mixed breeds, one could possibly be part terrier not sure. What I find very interesting is the one I am not entirely sure of has the highest prey drive. She has killed rabbits in the yard, stalked one from a window at my mom's house. The minute she was taken outside, on a leash, in the front yard, she darted for the back where the rabbit was. In my old house we had a serious stray cat issue. I would have to bang on the back door before the dogs went out because after she killed the first two I started to get really worried about her getting diseases and taking her to the vet after every kill was getting expensive. Well she LOVES squeaky toys. She also "kills" them.

The other two dogs I have are hound breed mixes. They prefer bones over toys and will tree anything but have never killed it.

Do I think squeaky toys make killers, no. But I do find the irony of that statement in my life.

·
Registered
168 Posts
LOL It's funny I never thought about squeaky toys and certainly not as a precursor to killing -now I am ;-) I suppose they are like little animals. Two of my hounds are not interested what so ever - in fact they will play with it like a quiet toy and once it makes a noise they spit it out in disgust. One absolutely DESTROYS and first by ripping the squeak out. The other two march around squeaking it excessively, trying to tantalise the others by saying mine...mine...mine

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Oh yes, you'll have a blood thirsty monster in no time!
LoL!

Troubles loves his squeaky and we will often tell him to 'kill it'. And boy does he ever. Growls and shakes it violently. "Kill it, Truffles! I'm not touching that until it's dead! Kill it!" GRGRGRGRG shakeshake. Dead squeaky.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yeah squeaky toys don't sound like any rat I've been around, an upset rat squeals like a pig almost. Jubel likes squeaky toys but isn't obsessed with them, there is only excessive squeaking from him with toys that are still excitingly new after that it's just occasionally squeaking. He has killed a mouse, which didn't make any sound, but he was more trying to play with it and confused when it stopped moving. Similar with the crickets that get in the house from time to time, smacking it with his paws until it is dead then looks to me like "why isn't it still playing with me anymore?"

·
Registered
537 Posts
Dixie loves her squeaky toys but only the ones that look like rodents. She doesn't remove the squeakers she pops their heads off instead. You don't train terriers to kill they already know how but I'm pretty sure they can tell the difference between a squeaky toy and a live animal. Squeaky toys don't scurry around and as far as I know they don't smell like real animals either.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Storee LOVES sqeakies, but has retrieved live birds without a problem. Her drive is more for getting them and bringing them back than 'killing' them. I'm hoping next time we are using live birds I can get a nice picture of her with the bird looking around while she carries it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts