Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a question for you experienced dog owners. So I have my little Husky pup. She's roughly about 4 or 5 months old and STILL with the puppy biting. Her teeth have gotten sharp as she's really grown and I'm getting cuts all over my hands at this point. It's playful biting, she's not mean, just hurts more than she realizes.

My main question: Is using a spray bottle to stop her from biting too hard a bad idea? I've read that it will solve the issue, but also doesn't teach them what the "right" way is. But for something like puppy biting, is a spray bottle a good or bad idea? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
key is doesn't teach the right behavior

lots of approaches teach a pup to mouth more, be more excitable, focus more on attacking first, or attacking the hands before they attack first

what approaches have you tried and when do you see the mouthing the most in deciding what you could do instead (just for a starter for conversation on the thread)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
key is doesn't teach the right behavior

lots of approaches teach a pup to mouth more, be more excitable, focus more on attacking first, or attacking the hands before they attack first

what approaches have you tried and when do you see the mouthing the most in deciding what you could do instead (just for a starter for conversation on the thread)
She just gets excited when she sees people and her first intuition is to nibble on hands, feet, and even pull your pants in a tug of war kind of way. I have tried telling her "NO!" and walking away, she doesn't seem to get the idea there. She's a good dog, just stubborn. She's getting older and doesn't realize her strength just yet.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have an almost 7 month old that constantly bites like yours. I have tried everything and it still continues. I tried the spray bottle as well. While she was a little surprised the first few times, it did not discourage her from biting. I have found the most success in just stepping over the baby gate and removing myself from her when she starts this nipping behavior.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I am not a fan of spray bottles for puppies wanting to engage with you. Instead of punishing, get the puppy to engage with a toy. Toss food away from you and then say the puppy's name and run away.. and get her to chase.. then toss another piece of food past you.. play the name game.

Always carry a toy. Always redirect those little teeth. If you need a time out that is what a crate or a gate or a pen is for.

If you punish the puppy you will eventually damage the relationship you want to build with the puppy. Instead of "no" (which she does not understand) be smarter than the dog and get her to do something else you want her to do. The issue with "no" is then what is the dog supposed to do? Teach that other behavior and ask for THAT and drop the No (and any aversive) at this age.

No is a word used for a much more advanced training and a much older dog.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just did a loud "Ouch" and I went away for 15 seconds or so. The pup is contained btw so it can't follow me. Did it maybe 3 times in a span of 5 minutes and the play biting stopped there and then. The pup was 6+ months old when I did that so it has been mouthing/play biting for a few months already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts