Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day Loki was playing and seemed to have rolled his paw - he jumped, yelped turned his paw and then laid down for a few seconds -got up and seemed fine. Now after a few more small instanced of the same, and one this morning he seems to be favoring his paw I think it may have a slight sprain or it's just tender.

I'm in a pickle now because pay is friday, and our vet does not invoice (its a long weekend here so the vet isn't open saturday and friday is fully booked) I have an appointment tuesday to see the vet about it, but I'm worried it could get much worse.

In the mean time do I just monitor him? Is there anything I can do? - hes so playful all the time jumping and what not I don't know how to keep him off it. Stairs are now officially off limits. Most of the time he seems to be ok running and walking - just developed a small limp this afternoon.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Ugh, I feel for you. Biscuit had a soft tissue injury last October and it was a huge pain.

Honestly, I usually tell people to go to the vet, but in this case, if you're sure it's not broken, I think it's OK to hold off and monitor him until Tuesday. It probably won't get worse if it's not broken. All the vet did for us was x-rays and NSAID painkillers. She gave Biscuit a shot of painkiller and a week's worth of Deramaxx pills. Biscuit was limping for like 6 weeks, it was awful. I would try very hard to keep Loki quiet and avoid aggravating the injury, just like with people. Our vet said 2 weeks of crate rest and that would probably have been good, but we just couldn't keep our dog quiet that long. Keep Loki from jumping especially. Now would be a good time to work on burning mental energy by training - teach him some obedience and some tricks.

You can also use a heating pad. As with people, you should use ice the first 24 hours, then heating pad after that. It did seem to help Biscuit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the visit to the vet went as expected. He wasn't limping that day, she found no signs of damage (clicking, inflamation or pain), she did mention that because of his breed he could have OCD. I looked into it a little and it could be possible but I'm not sure ... hes not lame by a long shot. She suggested I could try putting him on 500mg of calcium per day to see if it helps as a precaution.

Will this make it worse? I feel like adding calcium will add to the bone growth?
Also, if I do decide to get him on it, can I buy regualr tablets from the store, or are there special dog ones?

Any imput on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts