Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just decided that my dogs needed new things today. I bought them a few months supply of a new supplement I want to try (Diatomaceous Earth), a few days worth of cans, and a decent supply of beef trachea and pigs ears. All in all considering I tend to give them treats/chews only on days we don't get out hiking and cans just as a treat now and then, it's nearly a month's worth of treats/chews/cans.

Anyways, my friends think I'm pretty nuts for going out and splurging on my dogs instead of myself...but it makes me more happy to make them happy! I figured I'd be in good company here, and maybe you guys can make me feel better by confessing your random splurges..

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm the same, My girls get duck eggs, fresh meat and yogurt. Get s a bit expensive with 4 dogs (soon to be 5) but well worth it :) Oh and then there are the toys LOL

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
My dog eats way better than I do. That's to say nothing of the toys, clothes, harnesses, bed, etc. I'll ask "Gee, do I really need shoes? Really?" and then go buy my dog 3 toys and 2 (more) sweaters.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dog eats way better than I do. That's to say nothing of the toys, clothes, harnesses, bed, etc. I'll ask "Gee, do I really need shoes? Really?" and then go buy my dog 3 toys and 2 (more) sweaters.
The joke has definitely been made at my house that maybe we should all just eat the dog food, the ingredients look better than what we eat haha!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I splurged on an organic beef tendon for Greys birthday this week, and then I splurged on the veterinary diagnostics and three medications to treat the bacterial issues caused by the beef tendon :p

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Walked into Winners (an outlet store today)... was just window shopping...

Came home with an $80 dog bed instead.

... Oops. >_>

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Walked into Winners (an outlet store today)... was just window shopping...

Came home with an $80 dog bed instead.

... Oops. >_
On the plus side your dog seems to like the new bed. Nothing like splurging on something your dog could care less about.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
On the plus side your dog seems to like the new bed. Nothing like splurging on something your dog could care less about.
Haha yes... that's why I've stopped buying toys for my cats... So hard to please them lol!

And yes, Meeko loves his new bed!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I don't even want to say how much I'm planning to spend on a new pair of thinning shears next month.

As far as things for the dogs that they actually care about, I buy about 50 bully sticks at a time, so that's a pretty big splurge.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Outside of the numerous puppy toys and chews lately, my biggest recent "splurge" was teeth cleaning for everyone. Atlas needed it pretty badly, the other two were on the border line, but I thought it would be nice to have them all done. Thankfully none of them needed IVs or catheters and no extractions, so they were all on the low side of their estimates :)

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I dont consider their nutrition splurging, though I will admit to buying toys, chews etc ... LOL.
My friends accuse me of splurging on dog food all of the time. It makes me grouchy.

Splurging would be buying something you don't need, you just want, right? I don't want to feed my dogs food that's $50.00/28 lbs, but I need to.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am definitely guilty of splurging on Olive... Especially after a particularly soul-crushing exam. I tend to just wander around in pet boutiques to decompress for a bit if I've been having a rough week. Olive benefits from this habit greatly.

I justify it to myself be saying that I'm doing "research." I need to know what kind of products my clients have access to so that I can provide the best care possible for their pets. See... it's really for the animals.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I don't know about splurging in terms of spending a large amount at once, but I'm definitely more likely to buy something for the pets than for myself.

When people asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year all I could think of were dog things, lol.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I've officially located my next splurge item, thanks to mudypony.

Either the Kona or the Cosmopolitan from Karma Collars.

Both black with silver embellishments. I'd go with "bone" studs on the Kona or diamonds on the Cosmopolitan. Just have to wait until Titan is full grown...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have a hard time going into ANY store that sells pet toys (even places like TJ Maxx or some such) and not buying at least one. Even if I know she'll destroy it in less than five minutes. I'm such a sucker and I get flack for it all the time. LOL! (I do give all of her stuffed toys several lives by sewing them up once she has de-stuffed them)

@elrohwen - do you let your dogs eat the entire bully stick? My girl LOVES them but it freaks me out when they get small and mushy and I feel like she'll choke so I take them away. That said... I've missed it several times and she has swallowed the whole small end of it and we've never had a problem, but I try to pay attention and remove them when small.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
@elrohwen - do you let your dogs eat the entire bully stick? My girl LOVES them but it freaks me out when they get small and mushy and I feel like she'll choke so I take them away. That said... I've missed it several times and she has swallowed the whole small end of it and we've never had a problem, but I try to pay attention and remove them when small.
Yes, I give them 12" bully sticks and Watson generally finishes one in an evening. He used to swallow big pieces (like 4" long) so I used a clamp from the hardware store on the end so he had to chew down to the last bit. They are pretty thin and a medium-large dog it shouldn't have a problem swallowing the ends.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts