Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male shepherd mix approximately 8 yrs old. I rescued him 2 years ago when they guess-timated his age at 6.

Within the past 3 weeks...I noticed he randomly burps/spits up. Its usually just clear spit up (doesn't look like vomit). But it does not seem normal for him to do and it clearly does not seem comfortable.

Sounds like a hairball right before he does it.

Any ideas whats goin on?? Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Maybe he's eaten something he shouldn't? Has he been eating grass. When they bring up grass there's usually clear bubble like liquid with it. My dog eats so fast she sometimes burps when she's finished.
Given his age & the fact that in the past he hasn't done this I think he should be checked out by the vet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My parents SCWT actually did cough up a hairball. She hacked for a bit and spit up some drool like you mentioned, but later spit up a big wad of stuff. It was a mix of hair and other gross things that for some reason didn't pass and had been sitting in her stomach - technically a "bezoar".

I'd get him checked by a vet though. My parent's dog has had a number of other issues which have caused her to gag and they might be able to offer some ideas of what is causing it or meds to make him more comfortable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts