Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so in reading the other responses on Senior food--I have to wonder if I made the right decision for my Senior golden.

He has been slowing down and could stand to lose a few pounds, so I just bought a bag of Senior food this past time to give him.

Now I'm seeing they are lower in protein, higher in carbs and that seniors often need higher protein and less carbs. I'm giving him a joint supplement separately as the Senior food I got didn't have any of those supplements in it anyway.

So in your opinion--what is the BEST food for a senior golden? And should I look for a good quality food with the highest protein I can find? Or what range of protein do I want to be in? Or just stick with the adult foods I usually feed and cut him back? (I use FROMM (which is the Senior he is currently on), & Chicken Soup on a regular basis--but have tried others as well here and there). I'm wide open to suggestions as long as it is good quality and avoids corn/soybean and wheat.

Thanks!

I should add he is around 87 lbs and gets about 3 cups a day.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Does the Fromm Senior have lower protein than the regular adult formula? Some of the higher-end foods recognize that seniors need high-quality protein so they don't reduce the protein level.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
For me i skip senior foods. For me i need my aging dog to keep good muscle mass to help joint stability and protein helps with that!

I would look for a good quality grain free moderate protein formula and continue to add supplements as you are doing.

I think that some of the TOTW formulas are perfect for young and aging dogs alike.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Does the Fromm Senior have lower protein than the regular adult formula? Some of the higher-end foods recognize that seniors need high-quality protein so they don't reduce the protein level.
Looking at them if its the Gold line they are all around 23-24% i think. Little low for me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One percent...24% adult--23% senior. Is that enough to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things? Doesn't seem like it?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 4 star ingredient (duck is what I mostly use) is 24% protein as well.

Where do you want the protein to be ideally for an aging dog?

What you all are saying makes sense. My last horse, I fed her a 32% protein feed that most horse people freak about--but she was fed minimal amounts to maintain her weight--so I sorda get it. I just am not sure what is ideal for dogs--I've always focused on ingredients, but never really on protein/fat (shame on me?). Thanks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For me i skip senior foods. For me i need my aging dog to keep good muscle mass to help joint stability and protein helps with that!

I would look for a good quality grain free moderate protein formula and continue to add supplements as you are doing.

I think that some of the TOTW formulas are perfect for young and aging dogs alike.
TOTW is one that I haven't actually tried. But I can get it locally at a couple of places. (not sure why...just haven't). I'll definitely look into this one thanks.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The 4 star ingredient (duck is what I mostly use) is 24% protein as well.

Where do you want the protein to be ideally for an aging dog?

What you all are saying makes sense. My last horse, I fed her a 32% protein feed that most horse people freak about--but she was fed minimal amounts to maintain her weight--so I sorda get it. I just am not sure what is ideal for dogs--I've always focused on ingredients, but never really on protein/fat (shame on me?). Thanks!
I think its a personal decision. For me my dogs have always done best on about 28% + protein. TOTW is in the low 30's i believe. My dogs are fed mostly raw and get dog food once or twice a week.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks katielou!

I noticed the fat is a bit higher in the TOTW as well--but I'm wondering with the high protein, high fat, if they'll eat less of it? (I would put all 3 on it instead of 2 seperate foods).

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thanks katielou!

I noticed the fat is a bit higher in the TOTW as well--but I'm wondering with the high protein, high fat, if they'll eat less of it? (I would put all 3 on it instead of 2 seperate foods).
Yes i think you will find they will eat less. TOTW and EVO are the two foods my dogs have needed the least of.

·
Registered
818 Posts
As far as senior formulas go (I usually don't believe in them) Fromm Gold Senior isn't bad. Fromm as a brand is a great food, too. I'd say you're fine feeding the Fromm Senior, but why not just feed the 4-Star line or Gold Adult. Great food, and if your dog is doing fine on it, why switch?

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
We adopted a dog who was 11 years old and obese, needed to lose 20+ pounds from her 43 pound body. I do not believe in low protein for a senior dog, they need the protein! I chose Wellness Core's reduced fat. A bit higher protein, low carb and low fat (when you have a dog who needs to lose weight, lower carbs is more important than lower fat). This worked well for her.
This website may help too

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grain_free

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As far as senior formulas go (I usually don't believe in them) Fromm Gold Senior isn't bad. Fromm as a brand is a great food, too. I'd say you're fine feeding the Fromm Senior, but why not just feed the 4-Star line or Gold Adult. Great food, and if your dog is doing fine on it, why switch?
I typically feed the 4 Star Line--Duck and Sweet Potato & yes, all 3 of our dogs do great on it.

The reason I was switching him is because I truly thought he may benefit from the lower calories of a Senior food. He could stand to lose a few pounds and on our walks now, he is not as spry as he once was. Also, he's been having some stiffness in his joints, so I was just trying to do all I could to help him be more comfortable by taking off a few pounds and adding a joint supplement as well.

I have been very pleased with the FROMM 4 Star--and the other dogs are still eating it, so it would be easier just to leave well enough alone!

I just need to back him away from the table and cut back--and keep him from cleaning up after the girls! I guess that food is just too good! ;)

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We adopted a dog who was 11 years old and obese, needed to lose 20+ pounds from her 43 pound body. I do not believe in low protein for a senior dog, they need the protein! I chose Wellness Core's reduced fat. A bit higher protein, low carb and low fat (when you have a dog who needs to lose weight, lower carbs is more important than lower fat). This worked well for her.
This website may help too

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grain_free
Thanks for your input and the website...I'll check it out!

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Stronger opinion - not necessarily better :)

When my Lab was a pup, I free-fed him Purina Pro (I'm not recommending Purina). Then I learned that, in general, you don't free feed a retriever :) He went up to 85 lbs and the Vet suggested a diet. So, I reduced his food. I didn't change it. He dropped to a healthy 60 lbs.

As a practice, I rotate food among 3 brands, not important which ones, b/c I've tried a variety - some excellent, some inexpensive.

Now that he's 11 yo and sleeps more, I reduced his food from 3 cups to about 2.5 cups. But, I do Not like Senior type dogfood of any brand... they seem to add more filler, reduce the protein, or suggest changes to the volume of food .... I choose an adult food that I like (no, I don't use a taste test :) ).... and I feed the amount that results in the weight that is good for him. I also give him a couple of raw carrots with his food. I don't know that it provides a nutritional benefit, but it seems to provide a good chew toy. My avatar is a recent picture...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts