Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. Im teaching my corgi to spin clockwise and counterclockwise.

I've seen other dogs do it and the owners tell me dogs don't generalize so you can teach them to spin by twirling you finger gradually outward (the same one you are luring them with to first teach them).

This worked well for the first one. Apparently dogs DO generalize because as I taught him to go in the other direction he would just spin the first way he was taught (clockwise).

Basically even when i lured him to turn the other way he connect it was the thing i did when i taught him to spin CW so it just turned around and did it CW anyway.

After a long time he finally got it so i gradually started bringing my finger out. He didn't get this either. I just did it over and over until he did (reward and click when right, nothing when he goes CW). I also mixed a few commands to tell him to go CW in there and then rewarded on those to try to make him see the difference.

Now i have an entirely opposite problem. He started to get where he would mess up and then do it again right so he thought that me spinning my finger CCW meant to spin CW (his mess up) and then spin CCW.

After doing this a LOT i got really frustrated and finally said no very calmy when i made the gesture to move CCW and he went CW. Now he basically has unlearned how to go CW and if i tell him to spin CCW OR CW he just spins CCW.

I guess i can probably RE-teach him but I wanted to ask before i messed up anymore. I feel like i finally got over the hump and then i went 2 steps backwards but on the opposite side.

Am i doing something wrong and if so what is it?

By not rewarding him on his mess ups and rewarding him on his correct trick he thinks that the "correct" trick is to spin CCW twice and then CW once or some other series... Btw i only did this for about 5 minutes working on the CCW and ive done probably 2-3 5-10 minute sessions before to teach him the initial spin.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My guess is the cues you are using are too similar. What cue word do you use for each? We use spin for CW and twirl for CCW. We also use a hand motion doing a broad twirling motion with our hand in the air similar to how we first lured him but now high above his head.

If he's doing the opposite of what you want, go back to basics. Anytime he doesn't do what you asked go back to the beginning and lure him the correct direction. This way you are setting him up for success. After luring him once or twice he should be able to do what you asked on his own again with the correct cues.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with shaping but you could also try shaping each behavior separately. So start by rewarding for small movements in the correct direction. Even a small shuffle of a paw or a head turn in the right direction would be clicked and treated. Once he is offering a full spin in the correct direction you can add your cue word and/or hand signal. I find dogs master new behaviors faster and more permanently by using shaping because they have to think about it and figure out what you want.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
My guess is the cues you are using are too similar.
That's my guess too.

Try using RIGHT hand to give your CW cue, LEFT hand for your CCW cue. This will help to make a prominent visual distinction between the two different signals for the two different behaviours. Start with a big exagerated circular motion with either the R or L hand, eventually whittle this down to a subtle pointing of R or L index finger for each respective direction.

I'd remain totally quiet for the time being, add the verbal cue in later .. much later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts