Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Belle chews a Nylabone, I lay down right next to her so her head brushes my face occasionally, and I can just feel my blood pressure sinking. I love the sounds she makes when she chews. I love the way she freezes when a distant sound is heard. Won't turn her head toward the sound or drop her bone, just freezes. And resumes chewing when a few seconds go by and nothing happens. Love the way her breath sounds when she breathes in while chewing.

I do the same thing when she has a bully stick or something equally exotic, but those treats can be pretty stinky sometimes. Still love doing it, though.

When I have a bad day, that's one of my favorite things to do.

What about you?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a dog and a cat and they generally do quite well together, but Holly (the cat) only lays around in the same room as Niko (the dog) if she is up on top of something, in one of her hiding spots, or if Niko is REALLY passed out...

...except for when I am sitting on the toilet.

I think it has to do with the fact that she feels secure because can escape behind the toilet and get away if need be, or maybe that I normally take a crap in the morning when they are both still half asleep, but they both sit around and let me pet them while I go about my business.

Maybe this isn't unique, but I think it's atleast unique that I am shameless enough to share it with strangers. Anyways, it's a nice relaxing moment of fleeting family peace and togetherness.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well, I do plenty of relaxing things with my dogs.. maybe not all are 'unique' but they give me much pleasure, joy, comfort and happiness :)

When I am sick, and I stay home from work, or come home sick from work - first thing I do when I get in the door is head upstairs to bed, both dogs following behind, both dogs snuggled right up against me in bed and we sleep.. it is such a comforting feeling when I am either sick or tired and having them both cuddled right up to me. and they don't leave the bed, or wake up until I do.

If i'm having kind of a bad day, or upset, they know. They instantly shower me with affection, Cash, he will come up to me, brush up against my leg and sit down beside me, as if to say "Its okay Mom, I'm here". Thumper, he will come to my other side, rest is head in my lap and whip out the big puppy eyes and stare up at me as if to say "I love you Mommy". By this time, they've both put a smile on my face, so I grab the leashes and we go for a nice long walk to relieve the stress or burdens that were hindering me - its amazing how easily these dogs put me in a good mood.

If I've had a stressful, hectic, busy day, like I did the other day - and all I want to do when I get home is chill and relax, and not pack up the dogs and head to the dog park OR go for a long walk, run etc.. well..they are usually pretty understanding and if its nice outside, like it was the other night, I sat on the deck in the sun, both dogs chillin on the deck with me, while I enjoyed a glass of wine and read a book to help me wind down from the day, and they both relaxed there with me. If the weather is crappy, and I dont have any ambition to do anything, we all curl up on the couch and watch a flick or some TV.. either way, they are always very nice to relax with, and comfort me when needed.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well when it's cold enough, I'll hook up my team and we'll go for a run on the trails. All of the troubles of the day just disappear when I'm on the trail with my dogs.

If I can, I will hop on a horse bareback and go for a nice, relaxing ride in a field.

And sometimes I like to take one of my dogs down to a nearby creek and walk in it with a holey pair of boots on (it's too high for non-holey boots anyway...and I'm not brave enough to walk in it with bare feet). The cold water cools my feet and clears my head.

All of which aren't very unique but they work better than a medicine to relax and calm me. They cure headaches too. :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
I hit Shambles with a broom.
Or I come on here and read posts by TWAB; they always bring a smile to my face! ;)

·
Banned
78 Posts
Every morning, same routine.
I practice mindful meditation. I take the dogs out about 10 mins before sun up, we either go to a lake in the bush, or up a mountain. And as the sun comes over the mountain top, i do this:
Notice 5 things i can see, hear, touch, taste and smell. Contacting with the here and now moment, instead of being wrapped up in past or future tense.
I have been doing this for 4 yrs, and that connection i have with both dogs, is formed by this morning routine more than any other i think. Just me, my hounds, and the sunrise.

My idea of peace

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I snuggle up on the rug with Abe and read out loud to him. I'm sure he doesn't care but he sure acts like he is paying attention.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Every Saturday I take my dogs with me to the drive up window at the bank...
The bank teller cashes my check and gives me money and some dog cookies...
Then I place 2 thousand dollars and some dog cookies on the dashboard ..
The dogs always go for the cookies...and not the money....
Then I hit with a broom when we get home..

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I just sit in the backyard with them and do nothing else but watch them play and receive occasional nose kisses.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Tessa likes to snuggle, and she's learning to do it on command. When I need some comfort, I just tap my lap and ask for a cuddle and she will rest her head on my lap.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I love to bike with my dog. I also love to cuddle with her, and if I'm feeling really uptight I'll walk her for an hour or more... Used to do that nightly.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I sit on the floor with her and clean her teeth, play puzzle games, watch her chew her bully. Or when I come home, I get down on the floor next to her and she snakes me like a cat so that I'll rub her butt and say "Oh, she do they butt rock!" She smiles and smiles and rocks back and forth from back leg to back leg. Makes me giggle every day. Or she'll come over to me and put her head between my knees and just stand there, still, quiet, waiting for an ear scritch. Or I tell her to "get they daddy!" and she'll go pook my DH or try to yank his socks off. Or we call for a Poca Sandwich - she loves to get between us and try to weave pole our legs.

Nothing unique but very special to us. We love our PITA dog.

·
Registered
514 Posts
When Belle chews a Nylabone, I lay down right next to her so her head brushes my face occasionally, and I can just feel my blood pressure sinking. I love the sounds she makes when she chews. I love the way she freezes when a distant sound is heard. Won't turn her head toward the sound or drop her bone, just freezes. And resumes chewing when a few seconds go by and nothing happens. Love the way her breath sounds when she breathes in while chewing.
Oh my god, me too! It's weirdly pacifying. It's almost like it puts me in a mellow trance.

Also:

1. Very young children playing together and making a lot of noise (yeah, I was a terrible babysitter -- I always accidentally fell asleep listening to the kids babbling away).

2. Weirder still, the piano being tuned. Which consists of random notes being played over and over. It's so narcotizing, after a couple minutes I can't keep my eyes open. In a pleasant way, like I'm drifting between sleep and wakefulness, and I'm still listening to the notes.

·
Registered
591 Posts
my poodle/bichon Sophie is my emotional support animal . I have an anxiety disorder and she seems to know before even I do when I am having a bad attack . then she will ump on me, lick my face lay on my chest. This helps to take my attention off the panic/anxiety attack and not end up in the ER or popping a handful of zanax. Lucifer my lab wont leave my side if I am having an attack and Guapo my yorkiepoo licks my hand. Without the 3 of them I dont even want to think about how bad these attacks could be . There has been a ton of research showing the positive affects of owning a pet . So I am not crazy for having 3 dogs and 3 cats, its for my health "GRIN"

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

I do the same thing when she has a bully stick or something equally exotic, but those treats can be pretty stinky sometimes. Still love doing it, though.

Me too! And here I was thinking I was alone in my weirdness :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts