Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

"special diet" righto!

2K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  gingerkid 
#1 ·
So indie had a vet check again today and she didn't see her regular vet.

I had told the other vet that she was on premade BARF and TOTW.

The vet I saw today said "I saw in her notes that she is on a special diet. What's she on that for?"

I was a bit lost for words I just said its not a special diet and left it at that lol.

#2 ·
Don't you wish that vets would attend nutrition classes as part of their regular ongoing education classes? Mine totally doesn't get why I won't feed the RC sold at her clinic, but we've decided to agree to disagree, and she leaves me alone now.

#7 ·
I had told the other vet that she was on premade BARF and TOTW.
I know its an acronym, it made me laugh anyway. lol.

My mom thinks I'm insane because I actually look at the ingredients of my dog's kibble. I don't plan on telling her about the other foods we've looked into (Orijen and Acana). She'd think I lost it if I told her we thought about feeding kibble that had bison and boar in it!

#8 ·
LOL, so you politely say to her that dogs should eat a variety in their diet and not just one type of meat, namely chicken. Presently, I think my dogs eat approximately 10 different types of animals on a weekly basis lol.

#11 ·
My vet agrees with the way I feed my dogs... but he still carries Hills crap.

#12 ·
Ive heard that from several people when they've asked what Bus eats (its one of the most popular questions), almost as if they think that if its not from the grocery store/walmart shelves its a special diet. One went so far as to tell me I should dump Buster because then I could pull a dog from the local shelter & save money since I could feed regular dog food (she feeds Purina or Pedigree, cant recall which). My vet had not heard of TOTW before I started using it with Buster but quickly checked it out during our appointment. Neither vet we see (same practice) has ever pushed food...not that I'll feed my food allergy boy RC.

#13 · (Edited)
Although they do carry the perscription foods from Hills etc (Why, for the comfort of their less open minded patients, who are stuck in their ways.) They also applaud me for feeding the way I do..

#18 ·
Global Pet foods is BY FAR better tan any other pet store in Red Deer (we have Petland, Petsmart, Tailblazers, Fetch, and 2 Globals) And Global is the cheapest for the high quality foods. Petland charges almost $10 more for a 30lb bag of Orijen than Global does. Best part is? Global is a Canadian chain, each store independently owned.

#19 ·
Eh.. I'm originally from Red Deer.. born and raised.. well.. officially raised in Bentley, actually.

I wished I woulda checked out Global when I was still feeding kibble.. I think there is one in Sherwood Park also, but Just Dogs had reasonable prices, but G&E Pharmacy was by far the best that I could find.

#21 ·
Petland is horrible!!! however, for the longest time, that's the only place you could get decent food (well, honestly for 3 or 4 years, they were our ONLY pet store! LOL) and I boycott them due to them selling puppies (which they no longer do!), so I used to go to Innisfail for food :) . Petsmart, while cheaper, only carries crap foods. when Global opened up, I did a serious happy dance!!! they really are awesome! we've had a few small independent pet stores come and go, but they always go belly up within a few years... Red Deer is NOT big enough for that many pet stores!

#23 ·
Petsmart, while cheaper, only carries crap foods./QUOTE]

The Petsmarts in my area now carry several grainfree foods that are pretty good - Wellness Core, Innova Prime, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, etc. The Petcos here also carry a pretty good selection - better than Petsmart, IMO.

I do have to go to other stores to get TOTW, Earthborn, Acana, Orijen, or Evo. My itchy-allergy dog does best on Evo Herring and Salmon, my poodle can eat just about anything grainfree, and we're just starting the journey with our new boxer rescue.

#26 ·
No Global isn't standardized, as each store is allowed to pick their inventory (as long as it's top quality). Ours rarely runs out of things, as long as the manufacturers are making the promised deliveries (sometimes the smaller dog food companies aren't able to deliver on time :) ) Our 2 Globals here are owned by the same guy and carry different inventory (except for the basic foods and such) and one of them recently expanded. They carry ALOT of stuff between the 2, and often if one is out of something, the other has it :) They have pretty much cornered the high end pet market :)

Yeah, I guess Petsmart here carries BB and Blue Wilderness now, but that's a rather recent addition, and it's more expensive there than at Global. I've never seen the Wellness or Innova there, but I dont even go through their dog food isle's It literally makes me angry to see Beneful LOL. I wont feed Wellness or Innova anyway, since they were bought out.

#31 ·
^^ lol that Iams ingredient list is why I laugh so hard at the new Iams commercial, of a bunch of dogs going "I'm not a rabbit, Im a carnavore, I need meat not grains...thats why I eats IAMS!" and I fall over laughing hysterically lol

#33 ·
Proctor and Gamble (who owns Iams) bought out California Natural and Innova (and others) I got Wellness and California Narural mixed up (I do that all the time, I have no idea why). But some of the Wellness formulas are made by Diamond, which is why I wont feed that either. Though I think Wellness is going to be changing plants. or has already. But I still dont like foods manufactured by a third party. especially since they never say so!

#34 ·
Even though we feed Kirkland, I totally agree. Although it doesn't happen with just dog food - a lot of people food (and other products) are made by 3rd parties and its never specified.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.